14.

FOURTEEN; THE SÉANCE AND THE REVERIE

Sabrina sat in the back of a city taxi, money tucked in her bra and a bored expression on her face. She was headed to the closest convenience store before she went to her shift at the police station. She probably wasn't in the best shape to be going back to work, but she was just so fed up of spending day after day at home. Besides, she could walk now; whatever Grace had done was a miracle.

"Thanks, pal," Sabrina muttered, handing the cab driver the money owed, before she clambered out and limped into the corner store. Chocolate. She wanted chocolate. The woman slowly shuffled through the isles in the artificial lighting, her vision struggling to focus on anything. Each time she moved there was the familiar ache, though it hadn't seemed as intense the last few days. She had taken that as a sign to get back out into the world.

Yawning and tucking her hands in the pockets of her hoodie, she tried to figure out where in the hell she was going. Currently, she was staring at cereal; as much as she liked it, it wasn't what she wanted. She continued walking, and her ears perked as she heard rustling and swearing an isle over. Following the source of the noise, she found herself face to face with a scrawny man around her age, stuffing packs of instant noodles in his pants.

"Hi," she rubbed tiredly at her eyes, drawing his attention. At first he stiffened a little at the concept of being caught, but when Sabrina merely just stood opposite him appearing exhausted yet inquisitive, the man looked over and beamed at her. He didn't look like a million bucks; he was wearing ugly leather pants that were stitched up at the sides, as well as a tank top that might have come from an opshop of some sort. Nonetheless, she was more than happy to introduce herself. "I'm Brie. What's your name?"

"Klaus. Pleasure to make your acquaintance," the man slurred a little, leaning forward and holding his hand out, which Sabrina shook. It was cold and surprisingly soft, and she noticed that written in his palm was the word 'HELLO'. Hmph, cool.

"Do you want me to buy those for you?" Sabrina offered, nodding to his trouser food. Her mother always told her, be nice to strangers. Well, this was the strangest stranger she'd ever met. Klaus looked down and hummed, before shaking his head mischievously. Sabrina smiled at his honesty, before crossing her arms and trying to avoid the sharp pain in her lower half. Then, a cursed idea sparked in her head. "Do you want me to cover for you?"

"Is this what love at first sight feels like?" Klaus' eyes widened a little in surprise, and he grinned so broadly his teeth were on show. He had a nice smile, but his eyes appeared to be...sad. Well, he was also incredibly high, that was obvious. But there appeared to be something behind the bloodshot sclera. 

Sabrina nodded enthusiastically, as if the concept of her working at a police station had been pushed to the back of her mind. Oh, the joys of being a dumbass -- she'd missed it. Any chance she had, she was going to take it. Did that make her a bad guy? The thought hadn't crossed her.