22.

TWENTY-TWO; PUTTING THE FUN IN FUNERAL

Sabrina sat on the concrete of the grounds, staring at her hands as the Hargreeves siblings performed a funeral service for Reginald. She felt a growing pain inside her stomach, something that didn't appear physically inflicted, just a side effect from her unhinged emotional instability. She recognised it almost instantly, and she despised it.

Grief.

Rain pelted against her uncovered body, her eyes watering, though she could hardly tell.

She had watched from a slight distance, her back against one of the concrete benches lining the courtyard as Luther tipped the ashes from Reggie's urn onto the ground. Due to the lack of wind, the grey matter fell into a damp pile on the ground; a disappointing end for such an eccentric man.

"Does anyone wish to speak?" Pogo asked softly. Sabrina could hardly hear him over the pouring rain, but that was okay. She just sat, staring at what was left of Reggie through the gap between Diego and Allison. Met with silence, Pogo exhaled softly. "Very well. In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master...and my friend. And I shall miss him very much. He leaves behind a complicated legacy-"

"He was a monster," Diego swiftly interrupted, and Sabrina's eyes flickered up, focusing on the back of his head. Water dripped from the ends of his dark locks, and she noticed how his fists were clenched once more. She wanted to get up and hold his hand, but she felt glued to her spot. "He was a bad person and a worse father. The world's better off without him."

"Diego!" Allison snapped quickly, her tone sharp and warning. Diego didn't care.

"My name is Number Two," he remarked, his voice hard and unwavering. "You know why? Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had Mom do it."

"Would anyone like something to eat?" Grace asked, almost in response to Diego's mention of her. Vanya shook her head.

"No, it's okay, Mom."

"Look, you wanna pay your respects?" Diego shouted over the rain as it grew heavier. "Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man he was."

"You should stop talking now," Luther advised, his eyebrows furrowed. Sabrina tucked a piece of wet hair behind her ear, sniffling a little as she resisted the urge to shiver.

"You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One," Diego countered, his body tensing up considerably. Sabrina knew what that meant.

"I am warning you."

"After everything he did to you? He had to ship you a million miles away."

"Diego, stop talking."

"That's how much he couldn't stand the sight of you!" Diego yelled, and Sabrina forced herself to her feet, taking a step forward.