07.

seven; thinking about my dead mother

"I got my scar when I was five," Sabrina began, sitting cross legged on Diego's bed with Gary on her lap. She stroked him as he snoozed, her eyes not really focused on anything. Diego was staring intently at her, fiddling with a knife between his fingers. It didn't really affect her, she had noticed it was something he did to fidget. "It wasn't from a car crash or any other accident. My grandmother tried to kill me."

"Shit," Diego sat up a little straighter, reaching over to touch her hand. He was very physical, which was quite nice seeing as Sabrina appreciated intimacy, especially that of platonic intimacy. "I take it she didn't succeed, seeing as you're still here." 

Sabrina lifted her free hand and tapped the scar on her forehead. "She tried her best."

"This was while you were still in Sweden?" He inquired, his eyes wide with shock and sympathy. Sabrina nodded. 

Sabrina curled up in her mother's arms in their one bedroom home, her eyes squeezed shut as she tried to sleep through the freezing cold weather. Snow was falling outside and they only had a blanket to share between them all, which meant they had to cuddle close to maintain heat. It wasn't as if Sabrina had known anything other than the poverty she had always lived in, so she never complained. 

She heard a soft creaking sound, causing her eyes to flutter open. It took a moment to adjust to the darkness of the room, but before long she saw the many religious crosses that decorated the walls of her home, as well as a shadowy figure standing in the kitchen. 

Sitting up and rubbing at her eyes, Sabrina squinted a little to make out whatever it was in the corner. "Alicia?"

She glanced behind her to see her sister fast asleep on the other side of her mother. 

"Mormor?"

Grandmother?

"Sabrina, kom hit," the frail woman beckoned the child to get out of bed. Sabrina complied, the base of her nightdress falling to her feet, and she tried not to stumble as she neared the kitchen. 

Sabrina, come here.

"Är allt okej?"

Is everything okay?

"Ja, barn," yes, child. As Sabrina drew closer, she saw a glint of something shiny in the reflection of the moonlight that streamed through the window. Her breath caught in her throat and her fingers tingled, warning bells going off in her head. "Jag kommer inte att skada dig."

I won't hurt you.

Sabrina gulped, hanging by the edge of the cooking area. She could hardly see her grandmother's face in the darkness, and she had felt this sense of danger a few times before. It wasn't the first time the feeling had sparked around the elderly woman, but for some reason this time posed a bigger torment. "Jo det kommer du."