06.

six; thinking about my depressing past and buying a dog for comfort

It was Sunday the seventh. Sabrina was incredibly busy, as she always was

She was sitting against the base of her couch with her feet tucked underneath the coffee table. An empty wine glass of what had been crisp apple juice sat at her side, as well as a half-full packet of salt and vinegar chips. She had been throwing a tennis ball at the window behind her television for the past two hours, as if it was supposed to entertain her. It bounced back in her direction and she caught it, before repeating the action. A documentary about the Arctic was blaring on the screen, but she wasn't paying attention, she was far more invested in pretending to care about the stupid ball she was tossing.

Her phone had been ringing off the hook, but she had managed to block the noise out for the majority of the day so far. The sun was caught in the eleven o'clock sky and the bright blues were vibrant and beautiful. Despite the lovely weather outside, her eyes were blank and her head was sore, but she was fine. She was fine.

Usually on that particular day of the year she'd go out drinking, make herself forget things. Alicia often wanted to go out for a coffee or maybe watch a movie together, possibly even look at some photos, but Sabrina never wanted to join in. God, she couldn't look at the old woman's face without seeing everything about the village back in Sweden.

"Orca are apex predators, at the top of the food chain. No other animal, except for humans, hunt them. They feed on sea birds, squid, octopuses, sea turtles, sharks, rays and fish. They also eat most marine mammals, such as seals and dugongs. The only exceptions are river dolphins and manatees, according to the IUCN," the narrator spoke clearly, but the words went straight over her head. She threw the ball again, and sighed softly as it fell behind the television. She didn't plan on getting up to retrieve it.

Reaching behind her, Sabrina picked up one of her decorative pillows and held it up to her chest, feeling incredibly lonely but not wanting to be around other people. 

If only there was a way she could still have company.

TWO HOURS LATER;

"Hey, baby!" Sabrina cooed, cuddling the pitbull in her arms. It was now one in the afternoon and she was back in her apartment, surrounded by several new items including that of a crate, a bed, food, and several toys. "Aren't you the cutest?"

The dog shuffled in her grip and moved his head to lick the tip of Sabrina's nose. She giggled softly and nuzzled her face into the rescue pup's fur, feeling her depression subside for now. She knew she was impulsive, but she had been thinking about getting a pet for a long time now. It may have been a rash choice, but she knew it was the right one. She was sick of being so alone, and she'd both read and been told that dogs were good to have around for therapeutic purposes.