20.

TWENTY; MEETING THE FAMILY

What made meeting the Hargreeves children a little awkward for Sabrina was that she hadn't kept up with anything they had done with their lives. She hadn't seen any of Allison's films, read Vanya's controversial book, or heard anything about 'spaceboy' Luther, who had come down from the moon to mourn Reggie. She hadn't met him yet, as he had decided to keep to himself tucked away in an upstairs wing.

"So, you're Diego's...girlfriend?" Allison asked, her hands tucked in the pockets of her dark pants. It was nice that she was trying to make conversation, but Sabrina didn't really know what to say in reply. She glanced back to see Diego sitting by the bar in the main room, drinking a protein shake of all things. He tensed up a little bit at the question that had been asked, his ears perking up to hear the response.

"We're close," Sabrina decided to say. She hadn't really considered what she and Diego were. She saw him as her best friend, but sometimes what she felt when she looked at him surpassed that title. She felt like calling him that friend-zoned them both. "I met your dad a couple times, I wanted to pay my respects."

Allison only grew more confused. "You met him?"

"Yeah, Reggie and I were pals," Sabrina rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet. She could see that Diego's initial intimidating nature was a family thing, as though Allison's soft features were beautiful, the way she held herself gave Sabrina the idea that she was far superior. "At least I think we were. I reckon one more hangout session and I could write him a page in my friendship journal."

Allison didn't really know what to say in response. Sabrina was significantly shorter, dressed in a large yellow hoodie and black leggings that weren't exactly stylish. She was the polar opposite of Diego; in appearance anyway. "...Reggie?"

"That's what she calls him," Diego muttered, finishing his drink and getting to his feet. Sabrina nodded quickly with an awkward grin on her pink lips.

"I don't understand," Allison's dark brows knitted together. "How-"

Sabrina hesitated, clasping her hands together behind her back. "Uh...I'm like you guys. He didn't find me when I was born, so I grew up being a weird kid rather than a superhero. Some shit went down a month or two ago and I've been buds with the Hargreeves household ever since. Pogo and Grace really helped me out when I needed it."

"You've been coming home?" Allison looked back at Diego, who rolled his eyes. He was so different around members of his family, she had noted. It was as if the walls she been let through had been resurrected as soon as he came into contact with the ghosts of his past. 

"Not to see him; to see mom," Diego responded, crossing his arms over his chest. "When was the last time you were here? Over ten years ago?"

Allison went to snap back, but the front door opened, catching her attention. Her figure tensed almost immediately, her glossy lips parting in surprise. "Vanya? You're actually here."