09.

NINE; BRIE THE BABYSITTER

"Can I interest you in some water?" Sabrina approached the three people in the reception of the police precinct. A thirty-something year-old woman looked back at her, and Sabrina sent her a comforting smile. "A coffee, maybe?"

"I'm fine, thank you," what Sabrina knew as the mother responded, shaking her head. She seemed quite exhausted, which didn't come as a surprise. Her daughter had gotten into a fist fight the night before, and it was only a matter of time before she could be released. It was only six in the morning, but the young Swede seemed quite chipper for her shift at her new job. 

A small whine came from the four year old beside the woman, and she sighed softly, burying her face in her hands as her young son adjusted the little girl in his grip. Sabrina glanced over and met eyes with the twelve year old, who had bags under his eyes and a sad frown on his lips. Sabrina squatted so that she was at eye level with the kid, once again offering a reassuring expression. "Hey, pal. What's your name?"

"Devon," he muttered quietly, shuffling his sister in his arms once more. 

"Hey, Devon. I'm Brie. And who's this?" Sabrina met the bright brown eyes of the little girl, who smiled broadly and reached out to grab her by the hair. Sabrina chuckled and leaned forward, allowing her to grab the brunette strands. She didn't mind the nuisance. 

"Clara," she bounced up and down on her brother's lap, accidentally tugging on Sabrina's hair. "You're pretty."

"Thanks, honey," Sabrina chuckled, before glancing over at the mother. "Excuse me, ma'am? Would you like me to find something to entertain the kids? I think we've got some books and puzzles somewhere."

"That'd be great, thanks," the mother responded without hesitation, waving at her children. "Go follow the lady. Devon, take care of your sister."

Sabrina opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. Uh oh, she was responsible for human beings now. This probably wasn't the greatest idea. She looked over at Devon and Clara, who looked a little more excitable, and she dropped her shoulders before standing up energetically. "Okay! C'mon, guys, I'm sure we can figure out what to do."

Clara practically leapt from Devon's arms and reached for Sabrina's hand. The brother followed behind as the woman got the thumbs up that she could leave the desk from her coworker, before turning the corner and finding the vending machine. Fishing in her pocket for coins, Sabrina picked Clara up and sat her on her hip. "So, what kind of candy do you guys like?"

"Skittles," Devon said shyly, and Sabrina smiled, handing him some money. He stared up at her with a shocked expression, and she nudged him a little. "Thanks, Brie."

"No problem, sweetheart," she replied, before turning to Clara. "What about you, Miss Clara? Do you want some chocolate?"

"Can I have some Reese's please?" the four year-old asked, and Sabrina didn't hesitate in nodding. After Devon had gotten his sweets, she pressed the coins into the machine and pushed the buttons to get the peanut butter pieces. Sabrina then handed them to the youngster, who beamed.