17.

SEVENTEEN; DRAMA QUEENS UNITE

Sabrina didn't even flinch when a knife hit the space above her head. She sat on Diego's bed with crossed legs and Gary on her lap, waiting for the man to return home. She knew why he'd flung a blade in her direction, as she had broken into his place and left the door a smidge open so that he'd know. She merely looked up at his figure in the doorway and plastered a smile on her face. "Morning, Diego."

"What are you doing here?" he grumbled, his posture relaxing a little as he came to terms with the fact that there wasn't a threat in his home. Sabrina watched him lean against the bannister by the steps, twirling another knife between his fingers.

"I came to talk to you," she responded easily, shrugging her shoulders. "You can't be a drama queen forever."

Diego scoffed. "You get why I'm annoyed at you, right?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "Your dad's a prick. But, I had my reasons. It was the same reason you had bringing me to Grace when I got shot. They were the only people who could help me. I knew that it would be a sacrifice, and I'm fully aware of how much you hate Reggie, but I had to do what was best for myself."

Diego pursed his lips and trudged towards her, almost reluctantly. Gary poked his head up at the arrival of his second favourite person and leapt from Sabrina's lap so that he could greet the man. Diego looked down and couldn't resist leaning over and petting the dog, despite the fact that it put a damper on the image he was trying to set. 

Sabrina got up, and stood a suitable distance from him, crossing her arms across her chest. "I didn't have time to call you. Sisco drove me straight from work, Grace sedated me, and I don't remember the rest."

"Sisco called Alicia," Diego muttered, picking Gary up in his arms. Sabrina wanted to smile at the sight of the tough guy speaking to her with a dog sniffing at his face. "I had to find out through Eudora Patch when I was taken into the station."

Sabrina averted her eyes. "It all happened so quickly, Diego. I would've gone to you but I knew you'd be angry at me for going back to work so soon."

"Damn right-" Diego began, causing Sabrina to quirk an eyebrow. He straightened up a little and cleared his throat. "But-"

"I didn't want to face the disappointment," she cut him off. "You were right, and I know that now. Believe it or not, I care what you think about me. I know I make stupid decisions, but this was one that I'm not ashamed of."

Diego put Gary back on the ground and swallowed as he gathered his thoughts. There was a period of silence between them, and Sabrina exhaled softly. She took a step back, and reached for her bag on his bed. Diego didn't move. 

"I'll let you think things over," she forced a smile. "You know where I'll be."

She whistled for Gary to follow, and in minutes she was out in the corridor, making her way back towards the main boxing club.