Twenty-four

Janey's Story

The Main Society Headquarters' dorms were cold, much like the atmosphere that surrounded the five main members: Janey, Kyla, Cassidy, Lincoln and Nicholas. After returning from the airport and meeting Lily, things didn't continue as they pleased.

Kyla distanced herself from the rest, Cassidy became close friends with Lily and as for Janey, she was just the middleman. And in this case, not the middleman that gets all the attention, but the one that is ignored. It was as if she had to pay the price on both sides.

"Good morning," Lincoln stuck his head into the room before granting his whole body access. "Haven't seen you in a while."

I guess I could say this is where Janey and Paige were most alike. They both liked hiding themselves away, especially when things were going rough. In the last two days, all Janey had eaten was an apple and two slices of freshly baked bread.

"Lincoln, what's going on?" Her voice was low and raspy, revealing that she hadn't spoken much in those two days.

"What do you mean?"

"Who is Lily?"

"My sister-"

"Don't lie to me." This time her voice was louder and harsher than she had expected, but it emphasised her frustration.

He sighed, running a hand through his messy dark curls before sitting beside her.

"It's true, she's my sister but fiver years ago, she left the Society's service and joined Harrison's people."

"And Nicholas is crazy enough to trust her?"

Lincoln's gaze met Janey's. It was soft and comfortable. His deep blue eyes bore into her soul in the most gentle way possible.

"Lily returned with some vital information regarding Harrison. She says she wants to work for the Society now. And no, Nicholas isn't crazy. Neither of us are. This could easily be an attack or ambush. All of us are watching out for the enemy while at the same time taking her words and stories into consideration."

"And if she's lying?"

"She isn't. Everything she says links up everything we know of."

Janey squinted her eyes at him and tilted her head.

"And how do I know you're not lying? The Rebellion's trying to kill me. How do I know you aren't involved? That this isn't a scheme to kill me."

He looked momentarily offended but brushed it off instantly as he brought his hand up to gently caress her cheek.

"I wouldn't do that. And I don't know how I could make you believe me but whatever it is, I'd do it. You can trust me."

His words and tone were so sincere but most Society members were the best actors you could ever imagine. Some even better than the big stars you see on films.

"It's dangerous, Linc. Doing this, accepting her is too risky."

"We need information on Harrison-"

"No, we need information on the Rebellion. Harrison didn't kill me because he said they would. He isn't the main enemy right now."

"He isn't your main enemy right now but he is still the Society's."

"I'm part of the Society. How could no one care? Even during the meeting with Nicholas, he brushed it off."

"The Rebellion is new. It would take years for them to build up big enough to go head to head with you. We still have years to figure that out. Harrison has been here long, we need to destroy him first."

"If the Rebellion is new, why don't we get rid of it now before they can build up their forces? The Society has been trying to defeat Harrison for about a couple of decades now, what makes you think you can get rid of him in a couple of years?"

He was silent for a while, considering her words before nodding.

"I'll take your point to Nicholas but I promise nothing. In the meantime, could make sure Kyla keeps her mouth shut?"

"Huh?"

"She's going on and on about how she doesn't trust Lily. It's turning the Society against her."

"Lily devoted her life to the enemy and now she's asking to return. Kyla has every right to voice out her opinion."

"But Lily's starting to say less, thinking were just using her for the information."

"Aren't we?"

"We are but-"

"What about Cassidy? Shouldn't you be warning her not to get too close?"

"Cassidy will be fine."

Janey narrowed her eyes at him.

"What are you so against Kyla?"

"Against? We aren't against her."

"Oh please, Nicholas wanted to lock her up."

"For safety precautions."

"Safety precautions? What about Lily? Why don't you lock her up for safety precautions?"

Just then, Janey's phone vibrated. She let her gaze shift to it as she opened the message. Lincoln, over her shoulder, looked at it too.

There were three pictures. One of a knife pressed against skin, another of a chainsaw and one more of a gun.

She shot Lincoln a confused look, wondering if it's what she thought it was.

His gaze fell, confirming her thoughts: a death threat revealing all the weapons they were planning to use to kill her.