Twenty-eight

"Changbin!" Paige called out, running over to him. He sat on the river bank, legs dangling into the shallow, muddy water as he hummed softly to himself.

Paige finally reached him, plopping down by his side with a frown.

"What is it?" He mumbled, still keeping his gaze on the flowing water.

"I've been looking for you all day. You can't just run off like that. I've been worried sick. I thought Kyla or Cassidy did something to you." She let out a long sigh of relief before briefly hugging him. "Next time, tell us before you leave."

When she pulled back from the hug, there was a tinge of red feathering his cheeks, earning a slight smile off her.

"Sorry," he muttered. "I just... Tend to break down when I really stressed out. I needed to cool down."

Paige heaved yet another sigh while untying her shoelaces.

"Yeah, I guess I could also do with a little cooling down." She removed her shoes then her socks, rolled up the bottom of her trousers and, finally, stuck her feet into the water.

Changbin glanced at her momentarily before leaning back on his hands.

"Do you miss South Korea?" She asked to avoid silence.

He shrugged.

"Yes and no. When you said mafias are nothing compared to the Society, you weren't kidding. This is the most terrified I've ever been -- even scarier than when Day6, another mafia group, almost killed me. I had so many chemicals coursing through my veins, most were meant to be toxic but they got their quantities wrong. All that came my way was a month long coma and really bad diarrhea when I wore up. But nothing too serious. Then again, after that incident, I wasn't really allowed outside our base. So, it's good to be out again. Do you miss Ireland?"

Paige swung her legs around in the water with a little shrug.

"Life in Ireland wasn't much different from life here. Had to spend most of my time trapped in my apartment building with Richard going on and on about how I'm the last Davies left and have to be extra careful. Gosh, I miss Richard. But apart from him, not really. The only difference is I didn't have my potential murderer living with me."

Changbin furrowed his eyebrows and shot her an anxious look.

"You trust us right? As in, Minho and I."

"Of course, I do." She let out a soft chuckle. "Surprised you didn't consider the rest of Stray Kids."

He sighed.

"After you told us about that Harrison guy, Minho and I have been... Sceptic. He's awfully similar to him and it's a bit too similar for my liking."

"Could just be his personality."

"That or he could be part of the Rebellion."

Paige finally turned to him, confusion stitched to her face. Was he honestly suggesting his very own leader?

"What?"

"Look, I never talked to Minho about this but it makes sense. Chan wasn't always like this. Started not long ago. His aura is too similar to Harrison's to claim it's just a coincidence. Besides, for years he's been against the Society then, out of the blue, he decides he wants to work with them. Minho even reasoned with him. He reminded him why we left in the first place but he refused to listen."

"So you don't think Cassidy and Kyla are involved? What about Janey?"

"I do believe they were. It's just... I don't think they are alone. It would be risky to go against all of us alone and why wouldn't whoever it is attack us when they know we are on to them? It's very sketchy..."

Paige placed her head in her hands and sighed. She allowed herself to rest in that position before finally retreating to glance back at Changbin, who still had his gaze firmly on her.

"So, Cassidy or Kyla and Chan. We look out for them?"

He shook his head.

"Chan is very influential, especially to Woojin, Han, Felix and I.N. If he wants, he could get them to join... Wouldn't be surprised if he already has recruited them. I saw Woojin glaring at you yesterday and heard I.N scoff quietly whenever you spoke."

"They could be defensive because you guys have completely neglected them in the past couple of days."

"Han or Felix, yes. I'd understand that, but they didn't show any signs of hating on you particularly. I don't know about Han and Minho but Felix often complains to me. But it's not in an angry way, more of sulking. It's strange for Woojin and I.N to involve themselves when, seemingly, they have nothing to do with it."

"How you ever seen Chan take them out separately and talk to them?"

"He often has meetings with Woojin. Claims it's looking over how finances and other things related to the Mafia are going in our absense, but I bet there's still a few things apart from that that they discuss."

"Obviously. And I.N?"

"I haven't seen anything but there are times all three of them are nowhere to be found."

She exhaled loudly.

"So, who seems the least likely to convert to the Rebellion?"

"Han, Felix and Hyunjin."

"Didn't you say Han and Felix were also one of the more likely one to join?"

"Thing is, they are easily influenced by Chan but they are also practically attached to Minho and I. Our relationship with them is way stronger than it is with Chan. Same for Hyunjin. If we could explain to them the situation, they would listen to us over Chan."

"And Seungmin?"

"You never know with him. He's close to both I.N and Hyunjin. If we get Hyunjin on our side. He'll just have to chose for himself, if Chan gets Hyunjin first, he'll join the Rebellion. But if we get Hyunjin, Han and Felix, he'll most likely join us since all his other age-mates will be with us."

"Well, Chan could be recruiting them as we speak. We need to quickly go back to the hideout, tell Minho and get to work."

"That's one problem off your plate," Minho's voice suddenly appeared behind them.

"How much did you hear?" Changbin asked, turning around to meet the older male's gaze.

"Let's just say I heard the plan and the reasoning. We're short of time and I'm not going to waste it discussing where I started listening. Now let's get a move on. Our lives depend on it."