Twenty-nine

Unfortunately, either the universe weren't agreeing with the plan or someone from the Rebellion found it about it. Whoever or whatever is was, however, did not change Lincoln's words.

"Tonight, we leave for Tanzania. We are going to find Harrison and put an end to him once and for all. After that, no more hiding out. No more Society mission. And finally, no more death threats."

Paige wanted to interject and ask 'what about the Rebellion? They are still out there', but Changbin's words repeated in her mind. Now they were pretty sure of about four Rebellion members in their midsts, saying such would be suicide. Also, Linc knows about them. There must have been a reason why he didn't mention it. Maybe he also knows whoever is in charge, is not alone.

"What time?" Chan asked with his dark voice. It alone, sending shivers down her spine and making everything inside her scream 'run' repeatedly. It took all her self-control to maintain her composure.

"Nine. I summoned a private jet to pick us up not far from here. The flight is about eleven hours. I organised a stay with one of the most trustworthy people in the Society. She has multiple practice rooms. We'll practice for a while then head to Harrison's base. Got it?" Lincoln explained, eyes searching each person.

"Whatever," Kyla shrugged as she began to walk off.

"Kyla, no need to be so rude!" Cassidy complained. "Those burritos we all enjoyed are probably in that jet. Remember them?"

Kyla didn't even turn around.

"I don't eat burritos anymore. They make me feel sick."

"Oh come on, does this have to do with Janey? You're taking this all too far. I miss her too and yes, burritos remind me of her. But you need to learn to forget."

The world seemed to pause for a second for everyone but two: Kyla and Paige.

Kyla turned around and Paige was sure she was going to glare down at Cassidy but instead she looked at her. Her gaze was strong, trying to send her a telepathic message. Paige caught it instantly.

"I didn't mean it like that. I just meant we need to continue going forth," Cassidy rephrased and the world resumed.

Kyla sighed, gaze leaving Paige.

"I know. I'm just... Tired. I should go." And with that, Kyla was gone.

***

The Society member's house was on a street not too far from a Tanzanian beach. Paige longed to run to it and play around with Changbin and Minho, have a little fun for once and forget that death was around the corner. She wanted to know how it felt to actually live without a care again. She remembered the story Janey had told her about the beach in Buenos Aires and how she'd always sneak away to get to it. Was this probably how she felt? Did she know that either Cassidy or Kyla were planning to kill her?

The house wasn't more than just a regular red brick bungalow on the outside, that didn't quite stand out in its surroundings. Paige almost questioned whether Lincoln got the right place.

He knocked slowly on the door and within seconds, the lady was at the door. She had slightly tanned skin and a wide, joyful smile tugging at her lips. She was beautiful despite the fact she was aging and had a face of wrinkles.

"Hello," she greeted in a sing-song manner, pulling Lincoln into a long, tight, motherly hug. "It's been so long. You've grown so much!"

Her gaze shifted to Cassidy and Kyla and she let go of Linc to give them the same amount of attention. When she saw Paige, however, her smile faltered and she paused for a bit.

"Paige," Lincoln explained. "Janey's younger sister."

"I know," the lady's smile grew again although with great pain. "Janey used to speak so much about you. You meant so much to her, dear. She was willing to take on the whole world just to save you." She paused again and swallowed, trying to push back her tears. "I'm Zera. Not sure if she talked about me much but I was she'd caretaker for a while."

Caretaker? Janey thought of her as he mother. She even promised to take Paige to see her after one of her missions. Unfortunately, it happened to the same mission she died on.

***

Never judge a book by its cover. I know everyone says it, but seriously don't.

The house may have just looked like a bungalow but little did Paige know it had four gigantic floors beneath the ground. That was where they found the practice rooms and guest rooms.

While everyone headed downstairs immediately, Lincoln decided to remain with Zera, wanting to speak to her alone. Paige, being an amazing agent, instantly glanced around the room and found a bunch of perfect hiding spaces to eavesdrop from.

"Paige?" Zera uttered, making herself a warm cup of what looked like hibiscus tea. "You brought her? Lincoln, do you want to kill her?"

"No," he sighed, glancing around the room carefully. "I was trying to save her... Now I don't know anymore. I got a threat from someone in Ireland. They wanted to kill her. So I took her out on the mission with me. Little did I know, I recruited Rebellion members with me."

"Rebellion? That's not good."

He glanced around once more before motioning for Zera to go closer and take a look at something on his skin. Or rather, in it.

She left immediately, returning moments later with a first aid kit.

"This will sting," she explained then began to cut through his skin. Blood started to pour everywhere and Paige was sure it must have been agonising but Lincoln remained nonchalant.

Eventually, Zera pulled something out of his skin and Paige noticed the flashing lights. It was the sound recorder. She switched it off quickly then started to stitch his skin up.

"Who are they? Who's part of the Rebellion?"

"Truth be told, I don't really know. Either Cassidy or Kyla. But I'm leaning more to Kyla."

Zera grinned.

"These new Society members... They're all betrayers. How do you know?"

"Kyla was the only one with Janey when she paused on."

"I see... And is it just Kyla?"

"No. The Stray Kids boys are getting involved too."

"And Paige. What's she up to? Does she have an idea?"

"Of course. She's so smart. She knows it's one of them but doesn't know too and from my observations, she knows about the Stray Kids boys. She's also working with a few of the more loyal ones."

Zera nodded and sipped her tea.

"And what do you plan to do?"

Lincoln closed his eyes and sighed, as if wanting to say something but not agreeing with what he had to say.

"I think... We need Harrison."

Paige expected Zera to spit her tea out and go on about how dumb of an idea it was but she didn't. She took another sip of her tea and nodded.

"You think she'll impress him enough?"

"I have faith in her."

"I hope you're right. Messing with Harrison is risky but if you do it right, you have the whole world at your feet. You need Paige to be herself. You can't interfere."

"I know but I-"

"You need to step out."

"What?"

"Step out of the mission. Be the watch if you must. Just don't interfere."

"And if she dies? What if Harrison kills her? Or the Rebellion?"

"Then she was never ready. She would have never been able to go against either. As heartless as it sounds, if she dies, it means she was bound to die anyway."