Thirty-one

Paige's Story

A day after arrival in Tanzania and Paige already found herself waiting at an entrance of Harrison's base, seconds away from breaking in.

As Zera had suggested, Lincoln sat out on the action but worked hard as the watch. He spoke to them through earpieces, guiding their every move.

"Paige in," he spoke.

With the others, he'd tell them every single detail like how to get in, what they'll see and the direction they should move in. He didn't give her any of that. And she knew it was also because of what Zera suggested.

Paige entered the cold, dark hallway, guiding herself in the direction her gut commanded her.

She tried listening down corridors for footsteps or talking or breathing. Anything. But there was nothing. Almost as if they were expecting an attack.

"Linc," Paige whispered.

Nothing.

"Linc."

Again, nothing.

"Linc?"

"Yeah," he answered but he sounded worried.

She gulped.

"Is this an ambush?"

Nothing.

"Linc, please respond."

Nothing.

She started to panic. This was her first mission and it was possibly an ambush.

"Linc," her voice cracked. "Is this an ambush?"

Then the weirdest thing happened. Her earpiece screeched then gave her an electric shock. She yanked it out if her ear and began to fuss over the warm but pain electronic waves coursing through her body.

Once it stopped, she looked up and her eyes met a furious Chan. He had his hands balled into fists on either side of his body. His head was slightly tilted down, intensifying his glare. His eyes were filled with pure hatred and he was practically quaking with anger.

Paige took a couple of steps back.

"H-hey," she stammered.

He didn't respond.

"What a beautiful day, is it not?" She tried again, words lacing with utter fright.

"Shut up." His voice was cold and hard like a brick wall in winter and his glare got scarier, if that was possible.

She took another step back but this time, Chan took a huge one forward. He was about two metres away now.

Paige panicked some more, taking several steps back before bumping into something. She turned around and saw I.N mirroring Chan's exact expression. I.N was so cute and smiley. She had never imagined him looking so scary.

"Oh, hi," she stuttered, walking back in Chan's direction but before she got there, I.N punched her right on the left side of her face, making her fall.