02- Red ICEE's

••••

"Oh wow! You've really changed, Care!" Brandon said, giving her a glance over. She wasn't the scrawny braced-face kid who used to play piano with him. He also wasn't the nerdy looking kid he was back then. He was the one who started the nickname 'Care' and it still made her giddy when he called her that.  "What are you doing in Phoenix?"

"I live here. I got a full scholarship to Arizona State." She replied, almost stumbling backwards again. Brandon quickly grabbed her up again and held on to her. She felt like falling all over again when he grabbed ahold of her. "Can we please get off the rink before I bust my ass again?"

Brandon chuckled and began moving through the crowd with her. Caroline vowed right then and there to never step foot on a skate ring again. When they got off the rink, Brandon led her to a bench. Very eagerly, she sat down on the bench and let out a breath she had been holding. Brandon sat beside her and took his own skates off. He rather catch up with her than skate with Edwin.

"Sorry again for taking you out. My friend Kelsey left me to die." Caroline laughed.

"All good. We wouldn't have met again if you haven't." Brandon replied, slipping his shoes back on.

Caroline looked out on the rink and saw Kelsey was skating with some other guys, attempting to show off with the tricks she knew. Kelsey was a skating fanatic and did it just about every weekend.

"So, uhm, why are you here?" She asked, lacing her shoes up.

"I'm on tour with my band and some fans gave us passes for tonight before we leave for San Diego." Brandon explained.

"That's right, you joined a boy band and moved to LA." Caroline said, nodding to herself. She followed him on social media, but she hadn't ever listened to his music. She felt bad about not doing it now. "I'm glad you made something for yourself after dropping out."

Brandon chuckled. Everyone always gave him a time about not finishing school like all his friends. Before saying anything else, he grabbed her skates and went and returned them. He knew she wouldn't be needed them anymore that night. He came back and stuck his hand out again. "You hungry?"

Caroline wasn't hungry, but she didn't want to crush his spirit. He shrugged and took his hand as he led them to the the food counter. He looked at the menu in amazement. It had just about anything you could think off.

"I'll take a red ICEE." Caroline blurted out.

"I'll take one too." Brandon said. Caroline smirked at him. They used to get ICEEs all the time from the gas station near their neighborhood. Caroline didn't know why or how she still remembered those tiny details. "Why are you smirking?"

"You used to get the red ICEE every time I saw you at the gas station after class." Caroline said. Brandon vaguely remembered getting an ICEE almost every day after school.

"You have a great memory, don't you?" Brandon said, giving her one of the ICEE's.

"Heck no. My memory sucks so bad after two years of college. I can't just imagine how it will be after I graduate." Caroline retorted, following him to one of the booths lining the wall. Brandon nodded with a chuckle.

"So you never did anything with Music?" Brandon asked, trying desperately to keep the conversation going with her.

"Nope. I wasn't as good as you. I also didn't lock myself in a garage to make a studio." She laughed.

"You're the one who introduced me to music production. You had to be better than me!" Brandon shouted, a smile playing on his lips.

Caroline thought back on the day she had introduced him to the soundboard and digital audio workstation on her laptop. Over the course of a few months they had learned how to use different things like a launchpad and sample machine to make beats. Apparently Brandon fell in love with it where it was just a hobby to her.

"I remember some sick beats in the sample machine, but it was your thing not mine. I haven't even looked at equipment since high school." Caroline admitted.

Brandon shook his head. "You has a knack for it. You should come to our studio and make some more beats."

"Yeah, if I'm ever in LA I'll hit you up." Caroline joked. She knew after tonight she'd never speak to him again. Tonight was simply Brandon being same ole generous Brandon. He was just entertaining her to not be rude.

"I'm serious! I'm going to give you my number and follow you on everything. We finish tour in about a week. You and your friends should consider a trip to LA to come see us." Brandon said, pulling his phone out his pocket. Her phone buzzed several times in her jacket pocket. Most likely he really was following her on all social media. He then slide her his phone. "Here put your number in here."

She put her number in and slide the phone back to him. He put it back in his pocket and stood up from the booth. "It was good seeing you again, Care."

"You too." She smiled, taking a slurp from her ICEE.

"Can I at least get a hug?" He asked, holding up his arms. Caroline let out an accidental giggle and slid out the booth. He wasn't the same tiny nerd she had a giant crush on, he had hit puberty and looked a hundred times better. He still gave her butterflies after all these years though. His hug was one of the best hugs she had been given, she didn't want to let him go. She stood there, savoring every second she got to hang on to him. She wasn't ready to let him get away again.

••••