34- Home Sweet Home

••••

For the first time in two years, Caroline was excited to go home. Although home was now a foreign home in Dallas, it stilled housed the most important person to her.

It was one week until Christmas. One week until she promised to contact Brandon. She knew he called her every night to hear her voicemail and she struggled to let the phone ring while she sat there and stared at his name. She had struggled to do a lot in the last couple weeks, but it led her back to her love of music.

Caroline hated flying alone, it was so boring. She rather take a two days and drive home, but two days was too long to wait to get home. When she got into the airport, that was packed beyond belief, she could spot her dad and uncle from feet away. Their tan skin and built frames stood out in a crowd. As she walked towards them, she glanced around hoping to catch a glimpse of Brandon walking by.

"Daddy!" She yelped and jumped into his arms. Happy tears flowed out her eyes. She hadn't realized how much she had actually missed him.

"Hey sweetheart." He cooed, wrapping his arms around her, careful not to squeeze her too hard. She jumped down and hugged her Uncle Luke who was busy holding her bags.

"Uncle Luke, I think you've got bigger." Caroline pointed out, poking his bicep that was about as big as her head.

"Gotta make that little nerd quake somehow." Her Uncle retorted.

"Lucas." She warned, a smirk on her lips.

"I'm not a fan and you know it." He replied, walking off.

Caroline and her father followed him to the car. She knew neither of them had been fans of Brandon ever since he dropped her overnight shortly after her mom's diagnosis. The ride home was filled with catching up and 80s rock. Caroline had missed bonding with her dad and uncle. At the house, Caroline hesitantly went inside. Madeleine welcomes her with open arms and a big smile.

"Hi, Caroline! How was your flight?" She asked, letting go of her.

"First class was very nice, I have to admit." Caroline chuckled.

"Only the best for my future daughter." Madeleine smiled.

Caroline tensed up at the mention of her marrying her dad. She knew Madeleine wasn't trying to replace her mother by any means and, quite frankly, she was kind of glad to have a mother figure again. She just hated knowing her dad had found someone worth moving on with because no one would ever compare to the angel of a mother she had.

"What up, Care?" Her future step brother, Greg, said as he walked up the stairs. She and Greg had only bonded over Christmas break last year when they figured out they'd be siblings eventually.

"Hey, broski!" She yelled, following him upstairs to her room. Her uncle came in shortly after and dropped her bags on the floor.

"Your dad wanted me to hand you this." He said, holding out a set of keys on his outstretched hand.

"What are these to?" She asked, grabbing them from him.

"Keys to your actual home. Your dad figured you might want to drive other sometime over break."  Her uncle said.

"Can you drive me now? My car is in Arizona and mom's car was in the garage still." Caroline asked, looking up at him.