15- Goodbye is Not the End

••••

Caroline had procrastinated for as long as she possibly could. It was well past 11 and Kelsey was already in the car waiting on her, but her feet were cemented to the floor. She saw Brandon patiently waiting outside the lobby doors waiting on her.

She counted to three and forcefully moved her feet. She was beyond ready to be in his arms one last time, but the thought of it being the last time made her not want to move. Once she got outside, Brandon took his hands out his pockets and opened his arms. Like the scenes in the movies, she dropped her bags and latched onto him.

"I'm going to miss you so much." She said, softly trying to hold back her tears.

"Hey, look at me," he paused, pulling back so he could see her face, "this isn't goodbye. Remember that, okay?"

"But it is! Who knows when we'll ever see each other again? Video chats just aren't the same." Caroline replied. She finally let her grip on him go. She didn't realize it was possible to miss someone so much before you even left their sight.

"Promise me you will not cry when you leave. I can't have this memory of you crying. It's not a good look on you." Brandon said, smiling sadly.

"I promise...that you will not see me cry because it's bound to happen." Carolina chuckled.

"I hate to break up the feelings chat you're having, but we have a damn plane to catch and it's over a hour drive!" Kelsey screeched, standing next to them.

"Right, I'll drive." Brandon smirked, spinning the keys on his finger.

The ride was silent. Caroline has made herself upset and didn't want to talk to him or Kelsey. She was thinking back to every decision she had made the last few days. She had cheated on Levi so she could no longer judge him for what he had done. She had fell in love with a man she could never have and that's what was stuck on her mind most the ride. She herself didn't really know why she wouldn't let them have a go at a relationship. She didn't know what she was scared of, but she knew she had to figure it out.

Caroline got out the car quietly and grabbed her bags. She hugged Brandon one last time and began to tear up again.

"Bye, B. I love you. I'll, uh, call you when we land." Caroline sniffled, letting go of him.

"Yeah, you better. I'll be broken hearted if you don't." Brandon replied, trying to smile.

He wasn't ready for her to go. He wanted to bed her to stay, to transfer, to drop out, anything to make her stay, but he didn't stop her as she walked towards the terminal with Kelsey. He knew she had worked hard for her life in Arizona. He could tell how much she had grown to love Phoenix by way she lit up talking about becoming a nurse or her favorite "hole in the wall" ice cream shop or even just driving around with friends at night. He did, however, notice that almost all her fondest memories of Phoenix consisted of Levi and that made him realize she'd never be with him. Standing right there in the airport he had a realization that she'd never leave Levi for him, no matter how much she told herself she would. He knew that feeling all too well of not being able to leave a relationship until the other person makes that decision.

Once on the plane, Caroline let her tears roll free. Kelsey looked at her helplessly until Caroline finally spoke.

"Why am I doing this to myself?"Caroline breathed out.

Kelsey took a deep breath before speaking. She knew Caroline better than anyone, maybe even herself. She also knew how big that heart of hers was and no matter how much Levi hurt her, she still loved him. "You still love Levi, Care."

"But I don't! I barely thought about him this weekend." Caroline defended.

"You don't love the Levi the cheater. You love the Levi from two years ago and you still see the Levi in him. Until you can unlove the memories of Levi, you'll never be on board with Brandon." Kelsey replied.

"God, I hate when you go all psychology on me." Caroline humbled, throwing herself back in the seat.

"But I'm right!" Kelsey quipped. "Just talk to Levi when we get home. Tell him you almost slept with another guy or that a guy showed you what love really is in two days that he couldn't do in two years."

Caroline nodded her head and looked out the window. She wondered how long it would take her to be fully dedicated to Brandon and their relationship. She also thought about Levi and the memories they had together; there were good ones and bad ones rolling around in her mind. She had avoided Levi for almost a month, but she was finally ready to face him and the unforeseeable future of their relationship.

••••
Thank you all so much for 700 reads!! I love each and every one of you!

••••Thank you all so much for 700 reads!! I love each and every one of you!