14- Moonlight Night

••••

The party was in full swing. Caroline has met way too many people and she didn't remember anyone's name. Brandon had disappeared long ago, probably resorted back to his room, and Kelsey was busy getting to know everyone. Caroline stood to the corner and watched as Zion danced in the middle of the floor. 

"You okay?" A voice asked. She looked to see Brandon standing beside her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Parties have never been my thing. I just observe at them." Caroline replied.

"Oh okay. I got something to show you." Brandon said, grabbing her cup from her and setting both his and hers down on a table nearby. "Come with me."

Caroline followed him upstairs and to the balcony deck. She watched as he climbed up to the roof using the windowsill as a foothold.

"Brandon, there is no way I can do that." Caroline chuckled. Before she could say anything else he crouched down and picked her up, pulling her up into the roof with him.

"That works too." Caroline laughed, smoothing her clothes back out.

Caroline looked around and saw a few blankets and pillows spread out at her feet. She smiled lovingly knowing this was something she loved to do a lot. Star gazing was something Caroline loved and could do every night.

The summer breeze brushed her skin causing her to involuntary shiver. Goosebumps raised on her skin under his touch as he draped a blanket over her shoulders. She smiled and moved closer to him, laying her head on his chest. He put an arm around her and intertwined their fingers. He leaned back on the roof and pulled her down with him.

"Look up at the moon." He whispered. She listened to him and looked at the moon. She didn't know the moon could look so different from the roof of a house.

"It's beautiful." She mumbled, breathlessly. She was in awe of her surroundings, including him. The moonlight only accentuated his facial features she loved so much.

"Yeah, like something else." He replied.

She busted out laughing. He joined in with the laugh when she started shaking. That was her thing though that he loved, her whole body shook when she laughed. "Stop being so corny! I see Nick is teaching you well."

"I'm not being corny! I really do think your beautiful in the moonlight." He retorted, looking at her.

She shook her head pecked his hand she was holding. "I'm gonna miss you, B."

He was hoping she would magically decide to stay, but he knew she couldn't. He didn't want to have to say goodbye to her. He enjoyed her company, as well did the other guys.

"Do you really have to go? You can't stay a few more days?" He asked, sitting back up straight. It didn't seem like a conversation to have while laying down on a roof.

"Yes, I have school and work." She chuckled. She was flattered that he wasn't ready to ship her back home just yet.

"Well come back next weekend. I'll pay." He suggested.

Caroline sighed and sat up. She'd be the first to admit this weekend had been the absolute best time of her life, but she had a life back in Phoenix. She couldn't just drop all of that for a guy, even if it was Brandon.

"When are we going to stop pretending that we could actually be together?" She asked finally. She hated for them arguing to be the last thing she did before leaving in the morning, but neither of them deserved to string each other along.

"We aren't pretending, Care. We can actually make this work, you just have to have faith." He said, looking at her. He could see she visibly upset and he hated to see her that way.

"Brandon, you just started your career and you have so far to go. I still have 2 years of school before I could even more here, if I found a job here. Let's not forget I live almost 400 miles away from you." She explained. She was crying and she really had no idea why she was. She knew they'd have to have this conversation sooner or later and she left in the morning.

"I don't care how far away you live, I just want you to give us a chance. If it doesn't work we'll part ways like it never happened." Brandon replied.

"It won't work and you know it. Think about how your last relationship went." She retorted. She huffed and leaned her head on his shoulder. "Can we not do this, B? I want our last memory to be this and not some fight we have because of distance and our schedules."

Brandon sighed and held her closer to him. He could still hear her sniffling from crying. "Care, I'm just asking for you to give us a chance at a relationship. You can't pretend that this weekend wasn't one of the best."

He was right, it was the best. He made her feel more loved than anyone had ever made her feel. She even got along great with his friends and didn't find herself dreading having to face them everyday. She might would actually miss Edwin more than Brandon because she had grown so close to him. She wanted to pretend they had a chance at actually making it long distance for 2 years, but she knew it wasn't possible.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asked softly. She nodded. "Do you even plan to break up with Levi when you go back?"

"Whether we're together or not, I can't keep Levi in my life. We both deserve better." Caroline replied.

"Then why are you so scared at trying to make up work?" Brandon asked.

"I'd love to be with you Brandon, but it won't work. We'll get in a fight or start ignoring each other and fall out of love. Not only would I lose the best guy I've ever known, I'd also lose one of my best friends. I can't chance that." Caroline replied, holding his hand and looking him in the eyes. She could read him just by looking in those eyes of his. He was desperate for her to agree to a relationship.

"I understand." He sadly replied. Her heart broke into a million pieces. He sat there for a few minutes before he open his mouth again. "Was this just a weekend hook up for you?"

Caroline didn't hesitate to kiss him. She pulled away after a few seconds. "I didn't come to fall in love with you, Brandon. It just happened. We can't act on it after tonight. You deserve someone who can be close to you at all times."

"Can we just pretend for a few moments longer that you're actually mine?" Brandon said, pulling her as close as he could to him. He just wanted to feel her presence for as long as he could.

They laid back down and looked up at the stars. Even though both of them knew this was most likely the last time they'd ever physically touch, they didn't let them effect the rest of their night. Caroline pretended it wasn't the end of their relationship and Brandon pretended she was his forever.

••••

Ya girl went through it yesterday not being able to pump out these updates. This was meant to be today's update, so enjoy the triple update. It won't happen again 😂😂

 It won't happen again 😂😂