16- You Don't Love Me

••••

The phone rang and rang until the voicemail finally came on. Caroline didn't bother leaving one as she placed her phone back in her pocket. She was exhausted after the early morning and plane ride, she wanted to go sleep away her last day before classes. Kelsey has made last minute plans with some people in her class, leaving Caroline to go home alone, which was exactly what she wanted.

She unlocked the door and pushed her way into the apartment. She then saw Levi sitting in their living room causing her to shriek. She hadn't expected him, or anyone, to be in her locked apartment.

"What are you doing here?" Caroline breathed, standing awkwardly in the doorway.

He gave a smirk and stood up. "How was your trip to LA?"

"I was good! It was nice reuniting with B." Caroline smiled widely, before clearing her throat and going back to her sullen face.

"Well I'm glad your back here. I missed you babe!" He smiled, wrapping her in a hug. "I saw some pictures of you and Brandy boy."

She stood in his arms awkwardly. His arms weren't the ones she wanted wrapped around her anymore.

"Let go of me. Nothing has changed between us since I left." Caroline stated, jerking herself out his grip.

"Are we at least going to talk about our relationship and salvage what's left?" Levi asked, looking down at the floor.

Caroline sighed and pulled him over to the couch and sat down with him. Their knees touched and that used to make her feel something, but now all it was was awkward. She didn't know how or what to even say. She knew how hurt she was when he told her he had cheated and she couldn't bare to bring someone that same pain.

"Do-do you remember our first date?" Caroline asked, biting the corner of her lip to keep from crying.

Levi sat there and pondered for a moment. He vaguely remembered their first ever date, the fine details had left his mind long ago. "We went to that ice cream place that you love. I wanted to show you the best place in Phoenix."

"What about what we said on our last date? What we promised one another?" She asked, her voice wavering.

"I don't remember, Care." He stated, bluntly. He had no idea why she was asking such a question.

"We made the promise that we would fight for our relationship no matter what happened as long as we loved one another. We made that promise right after you cheated." She said, softly. She was beginning to tear up.

He was finally looking at her wholeheartedly. He loved her and he knew he had made a major mistake. He knew how much he had hurt her that night he admitted that mistake, that mistake that could possibly cost him her, but he was trying desperately to win her back.

"And we're fighting, Care. I feel like at least I am here." Levi replied.

"You can't fight when you no longer love that person. You're not the same Levi from our first date and it took me a long to realize that Levi is never coming back." Caroline cried out, grabbing his hand in hers. "I can't do this, Levi. I don't love you anymore and I haven't loved this version of you in a long time."

Levi sat there stunned. He was beginning to feel some of the pain she had felt that night, or so he believed he was beginning to feel it. He couldn't blame her though, why would she love someone who cheated?

"Caroline, I get it. I mean I'm hurt, but I get it." He said, smiling sadly at her.

"I'm not finished." She stated. "I forgive you for what you did. I see how easy it is to cheat when you love someone else, but you know what else I learned this weekend?"

"What did you learn?" He asked, stroking her hand with his thumb.

"That when you truly love someone, or think you do, you can't cheat because their face just pops up in your mind. You can't bear to hurt them like that and potentially fuck them up forever. See, you don't love me anymore either if you were able to cheat on me."  Caroline explained, thinking back to the night she went on a date with Brandon.

Caroline took a few deep breaths to keep from breaking into a full blown sob. Levi bit his lip and stood up. He walked all the way to the door before turning to look at Caroline. She was just as upset as the night he broke her heart, he felt like he had broke it all over again as he looked at her.

"Care? For what it's worth, I never forgave myself and you shouldn't either. I wish you the very best in life and I hope you find someone who's capable of loving you like you deserve." Levi said, before opening the door. He walked out without another word.

Once Caroline got alone she let the tears roll again. She had already found someone capable of loving her like she deserved and she told him  they couldn't have a relationship. She cried a few moments longer before her phone rang. Brandon was wanting to FaceTime with her, which she gladly answered.

"Hey! Back home safe I see!" Brandon practically yelled.

"Hey." She replied, sniffling.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked, looking at her concerned.

"Me and Levi talked finally and I really just want to hug you right now." She replied, a sad smile popping up on her lips.

"I want to hug you too! I miss you already. They boys are giving me shit for it." He replied, chuckling, running a hand through his hair. "But hey, be on the lookout for an email from me this week. I made you something."

"What did you do?" Caroline asked.

"You'll see, but call me before you open it. I want to hear your response." Brandon said, smirking then licking his lips.

"I hate surprises!" Caroline yelled playfully.

"But you love me, Caroline Mclaren." Brandon smiled.

"Hmm, maybe." Caroline joked.

"Alright, well I have to go finish some stuff in the studio. I'll talk to you later, okay?" He said, smiling at her.

"Sounds good. Bye!" She replied, ending the call. 

She smiled at the blank phone screen thinking about his smile. She would be lying if she said he hadn't fell in love with him. She just hoped that he was still waiting on her when she was ready for him.

••••