31- Let's Taco Bout It

••••

Auburn had left for work early in the morning, leaving Caroline to her own devices. She took up time in the library, skimming over some of the books filed under favorites. Auburn seemed to be a big fan of old classics. Time was ticking by slow until she'd have company again.

Her fingers hovered over her dad's contact name. She missed him and wanted to talk to him. She was lonely which made her want to hear his voice. She hadn't been home in almost a year and she hadn't spoke to him in weeks, simply just sending a text here and there about her plans to travel. She really wanted to talk to her mom, but parenting advise her mom had etched into her father's mind would have to do.  She clicked the FaceTime button, waiting for him to answer. After it rang a few times his face popped up.

"Hello?" He answered, slightly chuckling and looking down at his phone. Caroline smiled, feeling less guilty for not talking to him for weeks. At least one of them was happy.

"Hey, Marky." Caroline waved.

"Good to hear from you, princess! What's up?" He cheered, he got up from wherever he was and began walking. Caroline didn't recognize the place, but with him recently moving to a new house with his girlfriend, she hadn't expected to recognize the place.

"I just wanted to hear your voice." She replied. "I miss you."

Her father sighed loudly on the phone. "So you didn't call to tell me about your plans to transfer?"

"H-how'd you know?" Caroline asked. She suddenly found it harder to breath and her heart rate sped up.

"I got papers in the mail about it since this is your permanent address." Her dad replied. "Were you not going to tell me?"

"No, I was. I'm not transferring anymore. I was only doing that to have more time with Brandon." Caroline sighed.

"Why wouldn't you transfer now?"

"We got into an argument about him not being over his ex and we, well I, decided it would best best to not be together right now." Caroline replied. She hadn't planned in telling him about the whole ordeal but she was looking for a tiny part of her mother to come out when he gave her advise.

"I never did like that kid after what he did, but you clearly saw something. You were always so crazy over him." Her dad chuckled, reminiscing over the past.

"I thought I did, but he's not over his ex so I'm not pursuing a repeat of Levi. They only split up because of distance and if she comes back I have a feeling he'd run back with open arms." Caroline quipped. 

"Honey, you never get over the good relationships. You think I'm over your mom? Madeleine is still helping me move on and put that pain of your mothers death behind other things. You can't expect him to move on so quick." Her dad explained.

Caroline cringed at the mention of Madeleine. She wasn't trying to take her mother's place and Caroline knew that, but she couldn't bare to be around her. She was the reason she hadn't been home in months. Home wasn't even the same home anymore. Home was a empty house filled with memories of her parents and her in Denton, Texas; not whatever home he had built with Madeline in Dallas.

She also thought about what her father had said. Perhaps she had overreacted out of fear he'd cheat like Levi. She knew she needed to take it as an adult and talk to Brandon and voice her concerns. She was just too worried about getting hurt again.

"Also, do not ignore him like you did Levi. You had Levi calling me and even uncle Luke." Her dad added on, rolling his eyes.

"Speaking of Uncle Luke, how's he?" Caroline asked, smiling.