Chapter 1: "He's just what I need living in Manhattan by myself."

January 2019

"You have that report for me, Rachel?" My boss, Grace, yelled into my office. "Don't leave until it's finished."

I rubbed my eyes and looked down at my phone. It was already 2:15 and it was going to take me at least an hour to get home in traffic.

"I'm almost done," I called back as I turned back around to the Mac at my desk. "Just have to finish something up."

It's been almost two months since I started at Spotify, and I love it here, but sometimes it gets a little stressful. Especially because I'm the head of a department fresh out of college. Sometimes people don't take me seriously, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

As I was finishing up my daily report, my phone buzzed with a few text messages from Gerald.

Gerald: I can't wait to celebrate your birthday tonight, baby girl.

Gerald: I'm waiting for you at your apartment
Gerald: I know you don't like fancy dinners and all that stuff, so I have a surprise here for you. And we're also going somewhere.

I smiled down at my phone and bit down on my lip as I texted him back.

Me: You didn't have to do anything for me. ): I love you

Gerald: I love you too baby, and of course I'm gonna do something. It's your birthday.

Finally, after another half hour, I finished my daily analytics report and printed it off to take to Grace.

"Here's that report, Grace," I said with a smile as I set it on her desk. "Need anything else from me?"

She smiled widely and picked it up, nodding at me.

"Nope, you're all good," she said as she placed a small wrapped present in my hand. "Happy birthday, Rachel."

I thanked her and then hurried off to my office to grab my things and my phone. Next stop was my apartment to see what shenanigans Gerald was up to.

Xoxox

"Gerald?" I said as I walked into my dark apartment, shutting the door behind me. "Where are you?"

I jumped as the kitchen light turned on. Gerald was standing there holding a bouquet of sunflowers and 10 balloons.

"Happy birthday, baby!" He smiled as he set the flowers down, letting the balloons hit the ceiling as he wrapped his arms around me when I ran towards him. "I got you some dinner."

"You didn't have to do this," I laughed as I wiped my eyes, looking up at the balloons. "Thank you, Gerald. I love you," I said as I pulled his head down so I could kiss him.

He rested his hands on my hips and kissed me back, pulling away to wipe my eyes.

"It's your birthday, it's your special day," he said as he held my face in his hands. "I have to spoil you extra hard today."

I smiled up at him and looked over at the counter. He had gotten a buffalo chicken pizza from my favorite pizza place and cheese bread.

"This is way better than a fancy dinner," I smiled as I took a piece out of the box. "You got my favorite without even asking me what it is," I laughed as he took a slice.

"We've eaten it so much since you moved here, I know it by now," he smirked as he walked over to my fridge, getting out drinks for the both of us. "I think we've had it a few days every week."

I smirked, leaning against the counter as I took another slice.

"I know, I think I've gained a little weight," I laughed as I poked at my stomach. "I'm getting fat from all this pizza."

"Not fat, just thick in all the right places," he smirked as he smacked my ass when I turned around. "Get ready, we're going to go somewhere."

I groaned as I went down the hallway to change out of my work clothes.

"But I wanna stay in and cuddle and have sex!" I called as I changed clothes. "It's my birthday!"

"You'll love this present," Gerald said as he got his keys. "Trust me." 

We got ready and headed down to his mustang. Kaitlyn had called me after she got off work at the preschool to wish me a happy birthday. We talked for a few minutes and started discussing when we could see each other again before we hung up.

"The animal shelter?" I asked, confused as we pulled up. "We're gonna play with puppies?"

"Kind of," he said as he took the key out of the ignition. "You're gonna pick one to play with forever."

I grinned widely as I gasped.

"My own puppy?!" I squealed excitedly. "I've been wanting to get one for so long!"

We got out of the car and walked into the shelter. The employee was showing us some dogs that had been there for a while, but none of them really caught my eye.

We had looked at almost all the dogs in the shelter and were getting ready to go somewhere else when one caught my eye.

"Hey," I kneeled down in front of the cage, watching the small puppy in the corner. "What's this one's name?"

"That's Bentley," the worker said as Gerald squatted down next to me. "His owners returned him for being too hyper and too protective. He growled at their children and other pets."

I looked up at Gerald with sad eyes as he shook his head.

"No, baby, what if he bites you?" He asked with a sigh. "This isn't the one."

"Just let me hold him," I said as I looked up at the employee. "Can I hold him?"

She nodded, unlocking the gate. As soon as she did, Bentley ran and jumped up on me, and I scooped him up into my arms. He nuzzled into my neck and kept licking my cheek.

"I want him," I said with a smile as Gerald reached out to pet him. "He's just what I need living in Manhattan by myself."

After going back and forth for a few minutes, Gerald gave in and we went to go sign paperwork.

"Welcome home, Bentley," I smiled as I kissed his fur. "I'm your new mommy..."