Chapter 11: "You're my life now."

*** Gerald's POV ***

I groaned as the sunlight hit my eyes. As I rolled over to get away from it, my arm draped over someone, and my eyes shot open.

For the past few nights, I've been staying the night with Rachel, but last night, I came home because Ella really wanted to see me.

"Ella," I muttered as I sat up. "You gotta get outta here. I overslept," I said quickly as I stood up, throwing on boxers and a pair of sweatpants as I went to grab a t-shirt.

"Why do you always kick me out after we fuck?" She asked with a tired pout as she got out of my bed to get dressed. "We never cuddle."

I rolled my eyes as I walked out of my closet after throwing a t-shirt on.

"Because I gotta go to the studio today," I lied through my teeth, not looking at her as I walked into the bathroom to at least run a comb through my hair. "You gotta go, I'm running late."

Rachel was gonna be here any second, and I couldn't let her see that I had a bitch in my bed. She'd probably never speak to me again or let me see the baby, and we just started getting on speaking terms again.

"Can I come over later?" She asked as she finished getting dressed. "I'll be bored all day."

"I dunno," I answered as I walked down the hallway to my front door, opening it for her. "I'll be busy all day."

I didn't tell her about Rachel and the baby because, one, I don't want to announce anything unless she does, and two, she's not my girlfriend, so it's none of her business anyway.

"Fine," she muttered as she walked out the door. "I'll call you!" She called as she walked down the steps.

I sat down on my couch and sighed with relief that she was gone. I didn't even really feel anything for her, it was mostly just sex.

My train of thought was interrupted when Rachel texted me.

Rachel: I'm coming upstairs now.

I anxiously waited for the next few minutes for a knock on the door, and when it finally did come, I bounced up to answer it.

"Hey," I said with a smile as I let her in. "You look cute today..."

She had a zip-up hoodie on with a plain t-shirt, leggings, and mismatched socks because she always complained that she was too lazy to match them.

"No, I don't," she laughed as she slipped off her sandals, leaving them at the door. "I just threw something on because I'm really tired."

"Do you wanna go lay down?" I asked, holding my hand out for her. "We can talk in my room."

She nodded slowly and took my hand, allowing me to lead her back to my bedroom. Whenever she wanted to cuddle, I jumped at that opportunity.

"I love your bed," she laughed as she climbed up into the spot where Ella was laying just minutes earlier. "It's so soft."

I climbed in next to her and laid facing her, tucking my arm under the pillow as I looked at her.

"It's the memory foam," I teased, biting down on my lip. "What did you want to talk about?"

She moved closer to me, and naturally, I rested my arm around her hip, moving it to rub her small but growing baby bump.

"I've really felt protected these last few days," she said as she put her hand over mine. "I was wondering if maybe you'd want to say over more, like a few times a week?" She asked, pressing her soft lips to my chin.

I bit down on my lip as I closed my eyes when her lips made contact with my skin. I moved my other hand up and stroked her hair.

"Of course, Rachel," I muttered as I kissed her forehead, making her smile. "I'll do anything to keep you safe again."

"And another thing," she paused, looking at me. "Do you...want to get back together soon?"

My eyes grew wide as I swallowed the lump in my throat. The first thing that came to my mind was Ella. She couldn't know that I was seeing somebody else.

"Maybe in the future," I responded slowly, watching her eyes glaze over. "Don't cry, baby," I muttered as I brought her body closer to me. "We're doing so good right now, I just don't want to mess anything up, okay? I promise you we'll talk about getting back together before the baby's born..."

She sniffled, wiping her eyes as she laid her head on my shoulder.

"I just thought we could be a family," she said quietly as she played with the neck on my shirt. "You know, a happy one."

I stroked her hair as I listened to her.

"I know," I said quietly. "I know how bad you want a family, and I'll give you that. I just don't want to mess anything up with you right now. This is the most civil we've been in weeks."

We stayed silent for a while, laying there as the television played softly in the background. I couldn't tell her about Ella. It would crush her and everything we built.

I was starting to doze off with Rachel in my arms when she moved.

"I'll be right back," she whispered as she kissed my cheek, climbing out of my bed to use the bathroom.

It was quiet until she came out of the bathroom and stood at the foot of the bed.

"What's this?" She asked, picking up a lace thong and throwing it at me. "Who's is this?"

I sat up quickly, my heart was beating in my chest.

"Baby..." I started to say before she cut me off.

"Who's is it, Gerald?" She said through her teeth as tears filled up in her eyes. "Is this why you didn't want to get back together?"

I stood up out of bed and walked towards her, but she backed away from me.

"It's a girl named Ella," I began slowly as I reached out for her hand. "She means nothing to me anymore, baby. I promise you. You're my life now..."

She shoved me away, starting to cry as she walked down the hallway.

"You're a fucking pig!" She spat, turning around to look at me. "I hate you. I hate you so fucking much," she sobbed as her breath hitched in her throat.

"Don't go," I said as I tried to walk towards her again, but she yelled at me. "Rachel, I'm sorry..."

"You are not," she said as she slipped her shoes on, opening up the door. "Don't talk to me," she said before she slammed the door.

And just like that, I lost her again.