Chapter 5, Part 2: "This is not how I raised you, Gerald!"

*** Gerald's POV ***

All week, my mom had been telling me that she needed to talk to me, but she wouldn't tell me what it was. I kept asking her but all she would say is "come home and talk to me."

I thought about going to check up on Rachel and see if she was doing alright, but I just didn't want a kid. I wasn't ready to be tied down. I wanted to be with her, but I didn't want to have a family with her. I thought I did, but I don't. At least not at this very second.

"Do you have to leave?" A soft voice asked as she rolled over to face me in my bed. "You don't have to fly back to the Bay," she said as she rubbed my chest.

I'm pretty sure her name was Ella. I don't even remember.

"I got to," I said as I sat up, letting her hand fall off my chest. "I gotta go see my mom. It's important."

I got up out of my bed to get dressed, but she sat up and covered her naked body with my sheet.

"When will you be back?" Ella asked, tilting her head to the side. "Maybe you could come back to my place when you return."

I rolled my eyes, but my back was turned to her so she didn't see it. A one-night thing and this bitch is acting like we're already dating.

"I dunno," I said as I walked into my closet. "But you need to leave. Are you calling your Uber?"

"Why do you want me to leave so bad?" She asked as she finally got out of my bed to get dressed. "Don't you want to see me again?"

I shrugged as I came out of the closet with a suitcase. I wasn't sure how long I was going to stay.

"I dunno, Ella," I said as I pulled my phone out of my pocket to call her Uber. "But you need to leave."

"Why?" She asked as she stood by the door. "You didn't have that urgency when we woke up this morning."

I just wanted to scream that Rachel was pregnant, and she needed me, but I wasn't announcing anything about the baby. We didn't even announce that we broke up. It's none of their business anyway.

"Because I have a fucking flight to catch," I said as I slipped on my vans. "Just go."

Finally, after another argument about wanting to see me again, Ella stormed out of my apartment. Ever since Rachel and I broke up, I had a new bitch in my bed every night, but it didn't help take away the slight guilt I was feeling for not being there with her.

I couldn't go back to Rachel, even if I wanted to. My career is at its peak, and I can't have a baby tying me down.

Xoxox

"Gerald Earl Gillum!" My mom said to me no later than I walked in the door. "I need to talk to you."

I walked over to hug her, but she pushed me away, which was unusual.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I asked, slightly confused. "I haven't seen you in months, and you don't even want to hug me."

She pulled away from me and slapped me across the face. I'm not going to lie, it hurt. It caught me off guard, so I stumbled backward slightly.

"Mom, what the-"

"You left Rachel when she needs you the most!" She yelled. "This is not how I raised you, Gerald!"

I froze. How did she know about Rachel and the baby?

"Mom," I said as I held my face. "How did you know Rachel's pregnant?"

"It doesn't matter how I know, Gerald," she said as she stood in front of me. "What matters is that you helped create that baby, so you need to take care of it."

"I don't want the damn thing," I blurted out. "Honest to God, mom, I told her to pick between me and the baby. She made her choice. That's on her."

She slapped me again, the pain stinging more the second time around.

"I don't care if you don't want the baby," she said, not breaking eye contact with me. "But you will raise it. I raised you to always take care of the women in your life. Take care of Rachel like you take care of me."

"I'm nearly 30, mom," I laughed, throwing my hands up in the air. "I don't have to listen to you anymo-"

"I'm still your mother, Gerald!" She yelled, which caught me off guard. "You may be some world famous rapper, but at the end of the day, you are my son. I raised you to be a man. You're not a man, you're a spineless coward. James is more of a man than you."

My mouth dropped. Did I hear her correctly?

"If James is such a good man, why did he fuck around with Rachel last year instead of getting his own woman?" I asked. "Riddle me that, mom."

"The past doesn't matter, Gerald," she said as she shook her finger at me. "What matters is that you both are equally responsible for the life that's growing inside Rachel. To say that I am disappointed in you would be an understatement."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"I broke up with her, mom," I said a little quieter. "She hasn't talked to me since then, so I'm positive that she wants nothing to do with me anymore. She probably got rid of it."

"She didn't," she said as she walked over to the couch, sitting down. "After you spend these next few days with me, you're going home and apologizing to Rachel. I'm not asking you to get back together, I'm asking you to be there for her and do whatever she needs to do."

I sighed, sitting down on the couch across from her, putting my head in my hands as I placed my elbows on my knees.

"Alright," I said in defeat, knowing I wasn't going to win that fight. "But we can't be seen in public together. I don't want the media knowing about the baby, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't either."

"You do a decent job at keeping your life private," she said as she picked up her coffee mug. "You'll figure it out."

I looked up at her after I leaned back on the couch, shaking my head.

"Why are you making me be a father to a baby that I don't want?" I asked softly. "Is there any reason?"

"When you see that baby for the first time," she paused, drinking her coffee. "You'll fall in love. You'll give it the life and the love that your father didn't give to you."

I hope she's right.