Chapter 39: "I'll always be your biggest supporter."

I got up before Gerald and Rosie because I couldn't sleep - partially because my back was hurting, but also because I had a lot on my mind.

After finding out that I didn't get the promotion at work, I quit my job. I felt that it was unfair being passed up for promotion. Despite not having as much experience as the other candidate, I felt that I knew the job better than she did. They pulled her from an outside station, and now they have to spend time training her. It just stressed me out thinking about it, so I delivered my notice to my boss and walked out of the revolving door of ABC7 for the last time. 

It was a little before 7:30 in the morning, and I knew Gerald was going to be asleep for at least another half an hour, so I decided to surprise him with a breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage.

"Let's make daddy some breakfast," I said as I put my hand on my small, mostly bloated baby bump. "We can have a cute little breakfast date while your sister sleeps."

After gathering everything I needed and putting it on the counter in the center of the kitchen, I plugged my phone into the charging dock and turned on Spotify to my "Gerald <3" playlist - which was full of songs that reminded me of him from over the years. I adjusted the volume and pressed play, going back to my supplies to begin making breakfast.

The first song that began playing was "I'm Yours" by Russel Dickerson, and it was one of the first songs I added to the playlist after we got back together and snuck back to my dorm room in the college days.

The eggs sizzled when they hit the pan, and I immediately began scrambling them. I only ever knew how to make scrambled eggs, Gerald was the one who knew how to cook, but he wasn't awake, so he was getting what I made him.

I was humming along to the song as it played, and swaying gently back and forth before I spun around on my heels to get the pancake batter started. There was some clatter from the dishes and sizzling from the food cooking on the stove, so I was surprised Gerald hadn't woken up yet.

Songs rotated through my playlist, and as each one played, it reminded me of why I added it in the first place. In turn, it reminded me that we'd been through quite a lot together, and yet, here we were, married with a beautiful baby girl and another child on the way.

"Damn, baby," Gerald said sleepily, which made me jump and drop the skillet back down on the stove. "Oh, don't let me interrupt your swaying."

"Gerald!" I laugh-whined as I spun back around, holding a hand over my chest. "I was hoping you wouldn't wake up for a couple more minutes. I was about to put toast in the toaster."

"You made me breakfast?" He smirked as he walked over to me, slipping his arms around my waist as he kissed me. "Thank you, baby."

I pouted as I looked up at him, shaking my head as I pulled away from him.

"I guess I can forgive you for ruining your own surprise breakfast date," I laughed as I went to the fridge to pull out the orange juice. "Is Rosie still asleep?"

"Soundly," He answered as he leaned against the counter, watching me set the table. "Just like her mother."

I scoffed with an eye roll as I got two glasses and poured the juice in each of them, stopping when the next song came on shuffle.

"Oooh, Gerald! Dance with me!" I begged as I ran over to him, taking his hands in mine. "Please!"

"In the kitchen? In our pajamas?" He chuckled as he let me pull him to the open space in our kitchen. "Right now?"

"Right now is perfect," I answered as his hands took their position on my hips and my arms linked around his neck.

There's a shop down the street