Chapter 2: "You feeling any better?"

Gerald's been at the studio a lot working on his album, so I spent quite a bit of time alone in my apartment. But now that I have Bentley, time goes by pretty quickly.

"You're a rowdy little guy," I laughed as we walked around the corner to head back to my apartment building. "This'll wear you out, and you'll actually sleep tonight."

I felt safer going on walks now that Bentley was with me. I've only had him a few days, and he's become so protective. He growls when anyone comes too close, even Gerald sometimes.

"We're home, now, buddy," I smiled as I opened the door to my apartment, taking him off of his leash and watching him run down the hallway to my room.

I followed him back to the bedroom to lay down and take a nap. For the past few days, I hadn't been feeling all that well. Certain foods, even the smells of them, made me sick, I felt bloated and achy, my breasts were sore, and I cried at almost everything.

My period was supposed to be coming, but it was awfully late, and I just figured it was because of all the stress of moving, getting settled and adjusting to my new job.

Gerald: I'm gonna be leaving in about half an hour, you hungry baby?

He sure knows the way to my heart.

Me: Yay!!! I get to see you today!!! :) Yessss, can you bring me some chicken nuggets plzzzz?

Gerald: LOL, you see me every night ;) i'll see you in a while, i love you.

Me: I love you toooo. <3

While I was waiting for Gerald to come over to my apartment, I decided to call Kaitlyn.

*** Kaitlyn's POV **

"Rachel!" I smiled when I answered her phone call. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing pretty good," she said on the other end, except she sounded tired. "I called to ask you a question."

I pulled the covers back and laid down in bed. Grady was getting some film developed, so it was just me, and the kitten I rescued on the way home from work that he's yet to know about.

"Yeah, anything," I said as I got comfortable. "What's up?"

She hesitated for a second before speaking which made me slightly worried.

"My period's late," she said quietly. "But I've been having all the symptoms of PMS, so I'm not sure if it's late because of stress or if I'm going to skip it this month. I don't have a doctor yet because I haven't found one-"

My eyes grew wide. There's no way Rachel could be pregnant, especially with Gerald's baby.

"Have you been having a lot of sex recently?" I questioned. "I damn well know Gerald doesn't know what a condom is."

"Well, yeah," she explained. "But we've had sex plenty of times before without condoms, and we've never had any issues."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair as I looked up when the bedroom door opened and Grady walked in. He looked at me with an eyebrow raised.

"She's fucking pregnant," I mouthed to him as his eyes grew wide as mine did. He walked over to the bed and laid down next to me.

I put the phone back to my ear.

"I would say take a pregnancy test," I said calmly, trying to control my anger. "And then if it's negative, maybe go find a doctor to figure out why it's late."

She sighed, groaning slightly.

"I hope I'm not pregnant," she said softly. "I just started this job, and I don't think we're ready for a baby right now."

We said our goodbyes and got off the phone. I looked over at Grady and groaned, burying my head in the pillow.

"Is she really pregnant?" Grady asked as he played with my hair. "Does Gerald know?"

"I think she is," I said as I peaked my head out, looking at him with one eye. "She said she thinks her period is late because of stress, but they haven't been using condoms like normal."

I sighed, rubbing my eyes.

"I just don't think a baby is what either of them needs right now," I said sleepily. "Gerald is just a kid in an almost 30-year old's body, and Rachel has just started her dream career."

*** Rachel's POV ***

I'd been saving the pregnancy tests I had hidden until after I found a doctor, but not knowing why my period was late was driving me insane.

Gerald had texted me saying he was leaving the studio, so I had to act quickly.

I climbed out of bed and grabbed one of the tests out of my bedside table, rushing into the bathroom to take the test.

"Okay," I muttered as I opened the box, reading the instructions. "It's going to be negative, everything's going to be okay," I said in a weak attempt to try and remain positive.

After reading the instructions over and over and peeing on the stick, I set it on the counter and set an alarm on my phone for 10 minutes. It felt like the longest 10 minutes of my life.

The sound of the alarm made my heart skip a few beats as I hopped up off the floor to peak at the test.

"It's going to be negative," I told myself as I looked in the mirror. "It's going to be negative, and you and Gerald are going to move on and continue living your lives."

Before picking up the test, I took a deep breath. Nervously, and with a shaky hand, I flipped it over to read the results.

Pregnant.

My eyes grew wide as I set the stick back down. My heart began to race about a million beats per minute, and I started to cry.

I sat down on the closed toilet, leaning forward as I sobbed. Bentley barged into the bathroom and ran over to me, jumping into my lap and licking my face. I wrapped my arms around him and sobbed into his neck as I clung to him.

Gerald was in the middle of making his next album, he was doing appearances, interviews, and collaborations with other artists. If he finds out that I'm pregnant, he's going to leave me and pretend we never were a thing.

"I have to tell him at some point, right?" I sniffled as I ruffled Bentley's fur. "Everything will be okay...it'll work out. I hope."

I jumped up when I heard a faint slam of the door and Gerald calling my name. I ripped up the box and threw it in the trash can under the sink, hiding the stick in my make up bag.

"Baby, I'm here," Gerald called. "Where you at?"

"Coming!" I said as I quickly wiped my eyes with a towel. "I was just in the bathroom."

Bentley bolted out of the bathroom to go greet Gerald, and I followed behind him.

He knelt down to pet him for a minute before standing up to wrap me in his arms, kissing my head.

"I missed you today, baby," he said softly as he rubbed my back. "You feeling any better?"

I nodded with a small smile as I reached up on my tippy toes, kissing him softly.

"Yeah, a little better, thank you," I hummed as I looked on the counter. "And you brought my food!"

It took everything in me not to break down and tell him I'm pregnant. I had to figure out how first, that was the hard part.