Chapter 36: "Are you sure?"

"When was your last menstrual cycle?" Dr. Simmons asked as she came into my exam room a while after I had my blood drawn. "Rosie is only four months old, correct?"

"Yes, a little over four months," I said nervously as I bit my lip. "It came back when she was two months old, and I didn't have it last month. So, I guess my last period was four, five-ish weeks ago."

Dr. Simmons nodded as she sat down on the stool in front of the exam table, holding a clipboard in her hands.

"I reviewed your bloodwork, and took a look at these ultrasound pictures that we took earlier," She explained as she looked over and smiled at Rosie, who was asleep. "You're roughly four weeks pregnant."

My eyes grew wide and my mouth dropped slightly. That meant we were going to have two babies under two. With my job, possibly getting promoted, and Gerald being in the studio, it was going to be a lot to handle.

"Whoa," was all I managed to get out. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Dr. Simmons said with a smile as she took the pictures off the clipboard and handed them to me. "We'll schedule your next appointment when you're around ten weeks to hear the heartbeat."

She left the room a couple of minutes later, and I stood up to gather the diaper bag and Rosie's car seat.

"You're going to be a big sister, baby girl," I cooed to the sleeping baby. "I'm not sure how you'll feel about being so close in age, but I'm sure everything will be okay."

Xoxox

After making an appointment at the desk and stopping at the store, I finally made it home with Rosie. It was getting close to dinner time, which meant Gerald would be home soon, so I had to act fast.

Luckily, Rosie was still asleep, so I carefully picked her up and put her in her swing, turning in on the lowest setting after buckling her in. Then, I ran back over to the kitchen table to assemble the last minute craft I thought of in the car.

I picked up the small black chalkboard and ripped open the package of chalk, taking a piece out.

"You, me and Rosie make three. Let's add one more to make it four," was what I wrote in a circle on the board.

I picked up one of the ultrasound pictures and put some tape on the back of it to stick it to the board. Then, I ripped apart the pink and blue single roses I found at the grocery store and surrounded the chalkboard with them, smiling at my little display before taking a picture.

"Ooh, daddy's home!" I called, even though Rosie was still asleep. "Gerald!"

"Hi, baby!" Gerald grinned as he wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tightly and kissing my forehead. "How long has she been out?"

"A couple of hours," I answered with a smile as I bit down on my lip, watching as he walked towards the kitchen. "I don't think she'll sleep very well tonight. How was the studio?"

"Really great," He beamed as he turned around and looked at me. "The album's sounding amazing. I can't wait for you to come to hear it."

He set his jacket down on the counter and walked over to the table, noticing the rose petals first.

"What's this?" He asked as he turned around to look at me. "Flower petals?"

"Read it," I said with another smile. "It'll make sense in a second."

Gerald moved the flower petals out of the way and picked up the chalkboard, mumbling the words to himself. His fingers ran over the ultrasound picture before meeting my eyes.

"Is this real?" He asked, biting his lip as he set the board down. "You're pregnant?"

"Yeah," I said with a smile as I watched him. "Are you happy?" I asked as my face started to fall.

"What? No, yeah, of course, I am, baby," He said as he walked over to me. "I'm just worried, you know."

I sat down at the table, and he sat down across from me and took my hands in his.

"My album's halfway done, and that means I'll be dropping a tour soon," He said as he looked at me. "What happens if I'm not here a lot?"

"I'm not that far along," I said as I played with his fingers. "And Rosie and I will be able to come to visit you. It's not like you'll be gone all year."

He nodded, looking down at our hands before looking up at me.

"I can talk to Matty and see about booking the tour around your pregnancy," He said as I met his gaze again. "Like, when we know your due date, I can try to see if the tour can end a month before that so I can be home."

"If I get promoted, I'll get better hours than I'm working now. Weekends off, Monday through Thursday from 4 am to 11 am," I beamed. "I hope I get this promotion. Weekends off would be perfect."

"It would be nice for you to be home with Rosie," He said as I brought my hands up to his lips to kiss them. "And that means I can line my schedule up with yours so that I could be home more. But I'm still worried about a potential tour with you being pregnant."

I stood up and walked around the table, going to sit on his leg as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Everything will be fine," I assured him as he rested his head on my shoulder. "So far, me and the baby are perfectly healthy. Rosie is meeting all of her milestones."

Gerald wrapped one arm around my waist and put his other hand on my stomach.

"I know you don't have a bump yet, so you're not making your appearance known," He said with a chuckle. "But I'm excited to meet you, little one. You and your sister, and your mommy are the three most important people in my life."

I brought his face up to mine and kissed him softly, resting my forehead against his with a cheesy grin.

"I love you, Gerald," I said as he kissed me again. "And our family."

He leaned in to kiss me again but stopped right as he got to my lips because we heard tiny whimpering sounds coming from the swing.

"My little princess is finally awake," He chuckled as he helped me get up off of his lap. "Daddy missed you today!"

I sat back down on the chair and watched as Gerald went to go get Rosie out of her swing. Watching everything slowly fall into place with the house, our careers, and now our expanding family made me the happiest I've ever been.