Chapter 8: "Does Gerald know that you're moving back?"

"RACHEL!" Kaitlyn yelled as she barged into my apartment. "You told this ugly ass Gerald carbon copy you were pregnant before you told me?!" She yelled, pointing a finger at James. 

My eyes grew wide as I looked past her at Grady, who was standing there as he mouthed "sorry," while shutting the door.

"Uh," I said as I watched her. "Yes, but ... it just sort of came out. He asked if I was oka-"

"Why did you call him anyway?!" She asked, interrupting me. 

"I'm the baby's uncle!" James said as he moved her finger away from his face. "What are you to this baby?"

Kaitlyn turned around and looked at him, rolling her eyes.

"I'm the godmother, and I'm her best friend," she said as she put her hands on her hips. "I can make you disappear from the baby's life, too."

"Alright!" I yelled as I looked at them. "You're supposed to be helping me pack, not fighting."

She set her bag down on the counter and looked at me.

"Sorry, I'm just a little hurt that you told James before me!" She said with a frown. "I'm your best friend, not him."

"I know, I know," I sighed, running a hand through my hair as I looked over at James and Grady. "I'm sorry, I called him to talk about Gerald, and it just came out," I said as I followed her into the kitchen.

James stood there with his arms crossed as he looked at Grady.

"You told her?! Knowing full well she has the worst attitude problem!?" He whispered. "She was going to kill me."

"Hey, man," Grady laughed as he looked at him. "I don't control what she does. She scares me."

I came back into the living room after getting drinks for everyone, setting them down on the table.

"Okay," I said as I looked at James and Grady. "Everything except that bookshelf over there goes downstairs to the moving truck. It was here when I got here, so it's not mine."

They nodded as they planned out what to start moving first.

"Where are you putting all of this stuff while you're staying at my place?" Grady asked as he and James moved the tv stand out to unplug all the wires.

"The apartment complex said I could park the truck outside in the parking lot," I said as I watched them. "It'll be ready this week instead of next, so I'll only have to stay with you and Kaitlyn for a few days."

As we were talking, Bentley came down the hallway and ran over to Grady, who jumped up quickly.

"Is this the dog that bit Gerald?!" He said cautiously as he watched Bentley sit at his feet. "If he bites me, I'm killing him."

"He won't bite you as long as you don't hurt me," I said as I watched Bentley sniff him. "Besides, I think he likes you."

Bentley jumped up on him and licked his face, sitting back down and looking up at him.

"He's safe for now," Grady said as he pet his head. "I'm still watching him."

Kaitlyn and I stood there watching them move some of the furniture out and down the stairs before going to my room to pack up my clothes.

We spread my suitcases out on the bed before going into my closet.

"Does Gerald know that you're moving back?" She asked as she took a few shirts off some hangers. "Surely you told him."

I bit down on my lip as I grabbed some clothes, following her out.

"Uh, no," I admitted as I started folding them to put them in my suitcase. "I haven't told him yet. I'm not sure how, either. I guess I'll handle it when the time comes."

"How long do you think it's going to before he finds out?" She asked as she went to get more clothes. "You think he's gonna be mad?"

"Oh, for sure," I muttered as I followed her back in. "But I need to be back home where you guys are. I need a lot of support right now."

She started packing more clothes into the suitcase, occasionally looking up at me.

"You know I'll be here for you the whole pregnancy," she said as she smiled at me. "Regardless of if that fucking asshole is here or not. He should be, though. It's his baby, too."

I nodded, biting my lip as I looked away from her while packing.

"I know, that's what Suzanne said," I sighed as I ran a hand through my hair. "I'm just trying not to think about it too much right now."

We finished packing up all my clothes and shoes while talking about Gerald and the baby, and I'll admit, it was nice to finally talk to someone about it.

"You have so much shit in here!" Kaitlyn called from the bathroom as she started carrying out things to pack into the next bag. "Do you really use all this stuff?"

I laughed as I picked up a suitcase to carry it out for Grady and James to pack, rolling the other one behind me.

"No, but I might as well take it all with me!" I called as I went down the hallway. "Whoa," I said as I looked at the empty room.

"Does it look different?" James asked after taking a drink of water. "I know you didn't live here very long, but..."

I nodded, looking around.

"Yeah," I said as I looked in the kitchen. "Oh, that reminds me," I said as I bit down on my lip. "I need to talk all this food to the homeless shelter. I have no way of keeping it cold or anything during the move, so I might as well get rid of it."

Grady and James went into the kitchen to pack it all up while I went back to my room, Bentley following close behind me.

"How is it living with Grady?" I asked as I went to start packing all my socks, panties and leggings. "We've talked enough about me for the day."

"It's great," Kaitlyn beamed. "We get along so well. And we have a lot of sex," she laughed. "I have a kitten. Grady loves him now."

I laughed, shaking my head as I opened up a duffle bag, starting to put things into it.

"I'm so happy you found someone who wants to be with you forever," I said sadly. "I thought Gerald was my forever."

"Hey, maybe he'll come around and you guys can be a family," she said as she zipped up the suitcase that had everything from my bathroom in it. "You never know."

I shook my head, looking back at her.

"I don't think he'll be coming around anytime soon," I said with a frown. "Looks like it's just gonna be me and the baby."