Chapter 9: "I don't know if he cares or not."

"But it's in your contract that you'll help me, so do your job, content creator," Grady said as he stood at the table, watching me eat. "I just need your help with this one video."

I rolled my eyes, taking another few bites of cereal. I've been staying with Kaitlyn and Grady for a few days, but my apartment is almost ready for me to move into, and I start my new job next week.

"Can't I eat first?" I muttered. "And I don't really want to look at any of your footage of Gerald right now."

"What happened to being a professional?" Grady said as he went over to the fridge, grabbing a drink out of it. "You said yourself that you can separate your personal life from your work life."

"That was before I got pregnant with his baby," I muttered under my breath as I took my empty bowl to the sink. "Kaitlyn's gonna kill you if you don't do these dishes."

Grady shrugged his shoulders as he popped the top on his monster, chugging half of it.

"She won't do anything," he said as he grabbed my arm, pulling me down the hall. "Now sit down and help me. Please."

I pulled my arm away from him, rolling my eyes as I sat down in his chair.

"If I do this, will you shut up about Gerald?" I said as I opened Adobe Premier on his Mac. "Jesus."

I looked up hearing Bentley run down the hallway. He hid under my feet, whining at Iris who stood in the hallway meowing.

"You're scared of the kitty?" I laughed as I pet his head. "You're not afraid of the mean man but this tiny little fluffball?"

"He's a pansy," Grady laughed as he shook his head. "Look at him, he's like 15 times his size."

"Hey," I said as I watched Bentley get comfortable at my feet. "Don't make fun of him."

When I got into the video file that Grady was putting together, he showed me a few clips that he wanted to use but didn't know where to put them.

"They just don't fit here," he said as he pulled up another chair, sitting down next to me. "Where should this one go?"

I clicked on the clip and rolled my eyes when I saw it was of Gerald chugging a thing of his Stillhouse whiskey.

"Well, it's of Gerald doing some dumb shit, so it could go anywhere," I said as I dragged it near the end of the video file. "But it should go here. It fits in with the DJ sets and club appearances."

I helped Grady place a few more clips before he wanted me to watch the whole thing. Hesitantly, I agreed.

"Didn't you have a doctor's appointment yesterday?" Grady asked as he updated the file, texting Gerald to let him know the video was ready to post on social media. "And you went alone?"

"Yes," I said as I looked down at my small bump. "I heard the heartbeat and got an ultrasound. It wasn't anything big," I said as stood up. "If you don't need me anymore, I'm gonna go take a nap with Bentley."

Xoxox

"GRADY!" Kaitlyn yelled as she walked into the kitchen, hanging her purse up on the hook. "THERE IS A MASSIVE PILE OF DISHES IN THE SINK WHEN THE DISHWASHER IS TWO FEET AWAY."

He came downstairs with a lit blunt hanging out of his mouth as he walked into the kitchen.

"A massive pile?!" He said as he looked at her. "Babe, there's four dishes there."

She took the blunt out of his mouth, putting it out and throwing it in the trash can.

"Are you fucking stupid?!" She yelled. "Rachel is pregnant! Did you even put the pizza in the oven as I asked you to?"

He looked at her with a blank stare on his face.

"You asked me to put a pizza in?" He said as he went over to the freezer. "I'll do that right now."

She crossed her arms, rolling her eyes as she walked over to the couch, sitting down next to me and pulling out her phone.

"Don't ever move in with a boy," she grumbled. "They're fucking stupid."

I laughed softly, shaking my head as I looked up at her from my laptop.

"How was work today? Don't you manage the place?" I asked, closing out of Spotify.

She nodded, yawning as she rubbed her eyes.

"Yes, and I close it almost every day," she laughed tiredly. "It's fun. I really like it. Most of the girls that I manage are nice, except for Sarah, who's a huge cunt."

My mouth nearly fell open when I heard Kaitlyn use the word "cunt."

"Really?" I said as I turned my body towards her. "What does she do?"

"She just smarts off to me a lot, and doesn't clean her room every day," she said as she yawned again. "And complains nearly all the time ... anyway, how'd your appointment go yesterday? Sorry I couldn't go."

I smiled as I grabbed my phone, opening my photos to show her a video.

"It's okay," I said as I scrolled through my camera roll. "I got to hear the heartbeat. It was the cutest thing in the world."

"OOOOH! I wanna hear!" She said as she sat up. "Grady, come here!"

I waited until Grady came over and pressed play on the video of my ultrasound. A loud, rapid heartbeat could be heard.

"Oh my god," Kaitlyn said as she smiled. "Rachel, that's the most fucking precious thing I've ever seen!" She said as she handed me my phone back. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks," I smiled as I blinked back a few small tears. "I got measured yesterday. I'm approximately 11 weeks. I can find out the sex as early as 15 weeks."

Grady sat down on the arm of the couch behind Kaitlyn, his arm draping over her shoulder.

"What do you want it to be?" He asked.

"I hope it's a girl," I said as I moved my laptop to the coffee table. "I don't think I could handle a mini Gerald," I laughed. "The world doesn't need another one of him."

"Oh, god, if you had a boy, I'd cry," Kaitlyn laughed as she held Grady's hand. "A girl would be cute, though. Does Gerald know how far along you are?"

I shook my head, biting down on my lip.

"No ... he doesn't even know that I moved," I said as I looked at her. "I don't know if he cares or not."

"You're strong," she said as she squeezed my shoulder. "And you have us. Who needs him anyway?"