Chapter 23, Part 1: "Let's go have a baby."

"Gerald," I hissed as I pushed his shoulder. "Wake up."

"Five more minutes," he groaned as he buried his head in the pillow.

I smacked him this time, and he jumped up in a panic.

"Ow, what the fuck, Rach?!" Gerald yelled as he rubbed his head. "What's wr-"

"I'm having contractions!" I yelled as I pushed myself up off the bed. "Rosie is making her appearance tonight!"

Gerald jumped out of bed as I was talking and stepped out of his pajama pants and traded them for a pair of jeans. He quickly slipped on his vans before rushing over to me.

"What do you want me to do?!!" He panicked as he held his hands out to help me up. "Should I start the car?"

"Get the bags I packed!" I said as I waddled down the hallway. "They're in Rosie's room!"

I screamed out in pain again as I slipped on my Nike slides. My hands flew to my belly, that had become rock hard now, and I started to cry.

"Come on, Rach, baby, it's ok," Gerald cooed as he helped me walk out the door while holding the bags that I had packed only a few days before. "Let's go have a baby."

Xoxox

Gerald had called BJ on the way to the hospital, and the clock on his phone read 3:37 a.m. He had called him because people had gotten pictures of us while we were out together and were posting that I was pregnant, but we didn't want anyone getting any pictures of Rosie out on the Internet before we did.

"BJ's on his way, baby," Gerald winced out in pain as I squeezed his hand. "We're really going to have a baby."

"Oh, God," I groaned as I tilted my head back and squeezed my eyes shut. "How much longer, Gerald?!"

"Rachel, I can only go so fas-"

"I'M GOING TO HAVE THIS BABY IN THE CAR IF YOU DON'T SPEED UP," I yelled as another contraction hit. "PLEASE FUCKING HURRY."

He shut his mouth after that and didn't say anything else - only whimpers of pain left his lips as I squeezed his hand every time a contraction came, which I estimated to be approximately every 4-5 minutes.

The 21-minute drive to the hospital felt like an eternity, but we finally pulled up to the emergency room. Gerald got out and helped me in, leaving the car parked in one of the 15-minute only parking spaces.

As he was helping me in, one of the nurses from behind the desk rushed over and got me a wheelchair before paging the labor and delivery floor on her walkie.

"Are you full term, sweetie?" She asked as the three of us urgently made it to the floor.

"37 weeks, almost 38," I managed to get out in between breaths from crying so hard. "My contractions are roughly 4-5 minutes apart."

"Okay, sweetie. It's okay," she said as she rubbed my back in the elevator. "Are you guys first time parents?"

Gerald answered for us because I was trying to breathe through another small contraction, but I still smiled at what he said.

"Yeah," he beamed. "This is our first child together. I can't wait to announce her to the world. We kept Rach's pregnancy a secret."

The nurse nodded as she wheeled me out when we arrived at the floor.

"Privacy is always a good thing," she smiled. "Less stressful that way. But congratulations to both of you new parents!"

She wheeled me into a room and grabbed a hospital gown out of the linen closet to lay on the bed.