Chapter 31: "Did you think this would all happen so fast?"

*** Grady's POV ***

We spent hours at Walmart getting literally everything - enough diapers to last an entire year, Kaitlyn wiped out a couple of racks of clothing, wipes, stuffed animals, bottles, formula, baby food, shampoo, body wash, a stroller, a crib, bassinet, toys, blankets, bedding, books and various random items that Kait thought we needed.

Altogether, we spent over $3000 and had about five carts full, but the cashier was nice enough to ring us out after we explained that we were fostering Rowan after an emergency came up.

It was a little after 11 in the morning by the time we got home, and we were both exhausted, but there was a lot to be done.

"Do you think he likes it here?" Kait asked after walking around the living room with Rowan in her arms. "He's just looking around."

"He's only been in the house for a little over five minutes," I laughed, looking at him as he met my gaze. "I'm sure he's hungry and probably tired."

I moved the high chair box into the kitchen and got it set up so Kaitlyn could feed him before starting to take everything else upstairs. There were so many bags and so many heavy boxes, my arms felt like noodles, and that was just after moving the crib box.

Rowan's room looked big and empty, but after tonight, it was going to look like a little boy's room. I didn't know a thing about parenthood. Kait and I were just tossed into this whole thing not even a full day ago, but we were in it for the long haul, and I was both scared and excited.

"Grady!" Kaitlyn called from the bottom of the stairs. "Come down here, please."

"Coming!" I yelled as I set the instruction manual for the crib down onto the floor. "What is it?"

When I noticed the tears in her eyes, my heart skipped a beat and made me think something was already wrong.

"What is it?" I panicked, walking over to the highchair and kneeling down in front of it. "What's wrong with him?"

"Nothing," She sniffled, wiping her eyes on her hoodie sleeve. "He's just eaten two whole bananas and two pieces of toast. I don't know if I should give him anymore. I don't want to overfeed him and make him sick."

My bottom lip stuck out slightly as I watched Rowan look back and forth between the two of us. He was probably confused as to why Kait was crying and I was looking so sad.

"Maybe give him another one and then wait a while," I said as I pushed myself up. "That's probably the most food he's had in weeks."

"It's just sad," She sniffled as she wiped her eyes. "Poor baby."

"I know," I said as I wrapped my arms around her. "But we can't keep thinking about what happened to him in the past every time he hits a new milestone here. He's in our home now. He's surrounded by a lot of love here."

She nodded and pulled away from me, pressing her lips to mine softly.

"I know," She said with a sad smile. "This is just all overwhelming."

"And it will be for a while, but we just have to roll with the punches," I said as I rubbed her arms. "Finish feeding him while I go upstairs and finish getting his furniture together. He'll have his own room by the end of tonight."

She wiped her eyes again and turned around with a big smile to Rowan. He hasn't cried at all since we've brought him home, and we've been taking that as a good sign considering his background.

The crib was fairly easy to put together. I had trouble with a couple of the bolts being too loose, but I was able to screw them in. I put the mattress in the crib and followed the picture on the packaging of the bedding and hoped that it was right.

"Kait," I called as she came across the hallway. "Don't mind the mess. I haven't gotten everything else in place yet, but I got his crib all put together!"

"It's perfect!" She laughed as she bounced Rowan in her arms. "Look, buddy, what do you think?"

She smiled as he reached out and pointed at it, and she slowly set him down in it.

"I think he likes it," Kait laughed as she looked at me. "What do you think?"

"I think," I paused as I turned around to dig some stuffed animals out of one of the million Walmart bags on the floor. "He'd like it better if he had some friends."

I placed the stuffed alligator in there with him, and he reached out and wrapped his arms around it and leaned back against one of the pillows. Within minutes, he was out cold.

"Should we stay here?" She whispered as she leaned against me. "I don't want him to wake up and be alone."

"I think he'll be okay for a couple of hours," I said as I slipped an arm around her waist and kissed her temple. "We can leave the door open and turn the monitor all the way up. We've been up for almost a full 24 hours, we could use a nap."

"Okay," She whispered as she peeked over the crib one more time to watch Rowan sleeping. "Let's go."

We walked out of Rowan's room that was half-finished with plans to finish it as soon as we woke up, but the second we collapsed into bed, we didn't move.

"Did you think this would all happen so fast?" She asked as she pet Iris's fur when he jumped up between us. "Us becoming parents?"

"I knew it would happen, I just didn't know that it would happen so quickly," I answered honestly as I laid down on my side. "But here we are with our soon-to-officially-be son in the next room."

"I can't wait to tell Rachel and Gerald that we got him," She said as she looked at me. "What do you think they'll do?"

"Rachel will probably burst into tears when she sees him," I said as I yawned. "Gerald would...probably get quiet and not know what to think, but I think they'll like him."

She smiled and snuggled down under the covers after kissing me sleepily.

"I hope so," She yawned. "Goodnight, Grady."

"Goodnight, Kait."