one.

CHAPTER ONE,
greater sorrow

   THE SILENCE MADE Samantha Walsh's sanity become on edge

THE SILENCE MADE Samantha Walsh's sanity become on edge. It echoed around the graveyard of abandoned vehicles and luggage, like an invisible monster that would faintly caress her skin and taunt the unsettling pit in her stomach.

Samantha had once been a woman of noise, a lover of thunder and lightning, a catalyst of recklessness and self destruction. But as the world changed, so did she, but her hatred for silence didn't evolve with the rest of her being.

The world was nothing but an inescapable silence, taunting her anxieties and her looming thoughts.

Samantha sighed, rubbing her head.

The twenty year old brunette gazed up at the sky, the twilight gazing back. Stars lighted the inky abyss like scattered diamonds, the moon a crescent and half hidden.

"There is no greater sorrow then to recall our times in a joy in wretchedness."

The sudden, unfamiliar voice startled Samantha, and so she turned. There a man of old age with kind features and brown eyes stood, a faint smile pinned on his face. "Dante's Inferno, my wife was obsessed with it," He continued, chuckling. "I didnt mean to startle you, you just looked alone."

The ebony haired woman wondered how long he had been standing there, but nevertheless she enjoyed the company.

"The philsophy is beautiful." She commented, ignoring every ounce of stranger danger that had been built into her system. He looked friendly, but even the most friendliest looking people can hurt you.

"Ah, philosophy," The man let out a chuckle. "What a thing to drive man insane."

Samantha chuckled too, her anxieties and thoughts being put to sleep as she held out her hand. "I'm Samantha Walsh," She introduced.

The man took her hand and shook, his face holding nothing but kindness. He seemed to be the type of person to not have a single fiber of hate in his body.

"Dale Harvoth," He introduced. "Do you go by any nicknames? Surely you do."

"Sam."

The silence wasn't so unsettling with his prescence.

She just hoped wherever Shane and Lori were, they would make it back soon.

"Were you in the highway when they-"

"Bombed Atlanta," He finished for her, nodding his head somberly and sadness creeping up to his face. "I was."

When the city had been bombed, it broke the barrier between control and choas, unleashing panic and hopelessness. If was as if those thunderous booms were the trumpets of the inevitable apocalypse.