thirteen.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN,
a chance

   SAMANTHA WASN'T SURPRISED when she woke up with a cold sweat, her skin slippery and her eyes wide as she took in her unfamiliar surroundings

SAMANTHA WASN'T SURPRISED when she woke up with a cold sweat, her skin slippery and her eyes wide as she took in her unfamiliar surroundings. With her heart pounding in her throat, she realized it was just another nightmare and she kicked off the drenched sheets from her body.

Nightmares have become a part of her routine, etched into her subconscious and making it less surprising to her whenever they would sneak up behind her. She felt like it gave them less power over her. She rubbed her face, trying to get rid of the remaining sleepiness that made her eyelids heavy.

She was happy that she had gotten sleep, but she hated the feeling of dread that lingered. It made her feel trapped.

Signing, she glanced over to her sleeping brother. Shane was asleep on the couch near her cot, a bottle of barely any liquid left and she cringed - he's going to have one hell of a hangover.

On the wall near her she spotted a clock, and it read eleven o' clock, meaning that the sun was up outside of the concrete walls and the others had to be up. The thought of breakfast made her stomach rumble and so she hurried to the restroom, taking a quick rinse in the shower - avoiding her reflection in her mirror before and after she was finished.

Shane was still fast asleep and his sister thought he deserved it, so she quietly slipped out of her room and went into the cafeteria.

The smell of eggs greeted her before anybody else did, but when they did they were all full of energy, their good mornings full of energy that Samantha hasn't seen before within the group.

Samantha took her seat next to an agonized looking Glenn. Her eyebrows furrowed in humor at his silence, and with a mischievous smile she leaned forward into her ear. "Good morning, Glenny." Her voice came out high pitched, causing the Korean to cry out.

"Okay, Sammy! Good morning, good morning! You look great, now leave me the hell alone!" He moaned, his face falling into his hands.

His response called an outbreak of laughter, and Jacqui rubbed his shoulder soothingly. Carl glanced at his godmother's shirt, confusion and curiosity twisting up his expression. "What's Nirvana?" He asked.

Samantha grinned. "One of the greatest bands to live, midget." She stated, saying a silent prayer for Kurt Cobain.

"Nah," A new voice disagreed, and people turned to see Nathan entering. He looked almost worse than Glenn, darkness shadowing his eyes and his skin paper than usual, as if he hadn't slept a wink. "AC/DC is the band, don't listen to her."

Samantha's nose wrinkled. "Kurt Cobain is a legend in the flesh." She protested.

"Only because you want to sleep with him." Nathan quipped, and another chorus of laughter ripped through the air.