forty two.

CHAPTER FORTY TWO,
betrayal

   WHEN NATHAN BARTON entered the nurse's building, he could hear the wailing

WHEN NATHAN BARTON entered the nurse's building, he could hear the wailing. It bounced off the walls of the building as shrills, so full of anguish that it sounded like someone was cursed with an agonizing death.

He peered into an open door and realized it had been Keri, the woman who showed no hospitality to anyone before- was sobbing her heart out as she held onto what appeared to be a corpse under a white sheet.

Nathan could make out the blood seeping through the white from the stomach area and head, and that's when he recoiled and continued down the hall.

Upon entering the room everything became silent, the only sound that could be heard was Keri's cries. All eyes had turned to him, making him feel uneasy. It was as if he was a kid again and his mother had caught him being disobedient.

He glanced at all the men in the room and caught the Governor's emotionless stare as Dr.Stevens treated him. He felt a wave of disgust when he caught half of his hearing organ torn off - as if someone had ripped through it.

"What the hell happened to your ear!?"

He wasn't answered at first. Merle was leaning up against the wall next to Martinez, who sat on a wooden chair with an ice pack to his head.

"Samantha attacked me." The Governor finally spoke.

Nathan's jaw dropped, disbelief washing over him. "No, she couldn't have-"

"She did the same thing to me too," Martinez's voice cut him off, the soldier's head snapping towards him. "Knocked me out with my own gun."

"I can understand why it could be shocking - I was incredibly shocked too," Sadness contorted the Governor's features but Nathan was able to make out anger in his eyes. "She killed James."

"What?" Nathan whispered, his knees wobbling and he held onto the wall for support. He looked around the room, trying to string together sentences. "Is that who Keri was hugging in the other room?"

"She wanted to be the one to put 'em down." Merle's southern drawl confirmed.

His brows became furrowed, trying to wrap his head around with the fact that Samantha did that. She might have a temper, but she's never killed anyone over it.

"Why would she do that?" Nathan demanded.

The Governor sighed. "Martinez caught her helping Elliot escape, and it seemed like something snapped inside of her and she attacked him," He was frowning now. "She was brought to me, and James was just there at the wrong place and the wrong time."