nine.

CHAPTER NINE,
blood

   PEACE TOOK AWAY the tension that moved surrounded the camp as night fell over the group

PEACE TOOK AWAY the tension that moved surrounded the camp as night fell over the group. Samantha Walsh looked across the fire and at Amy, who had her head on Nathan's shoulder with a blissful smile pinned on her face. The two girls caught eyes and Samantha sent her a smirk, and even through the flickering light of the fire she could see the blush reach her cheeks.

The sound of the crackling fire would've put the twenty year old in complete peace if it weren't the anxiety that ceased to leave the pit of her stomach. It took away her hunger and Shane seemed to notice, letting his sister's head drop on his shoulder. Her big brother was her security, and always has been since she could remember.

Morale's laughter broke the silence. "I've been meaning to ask you man, it's been driving me crazy," said, a smile on his face. "That watch." He gestured towards it on the older man's wrist.

A smile surfaced on Dale's face as he eyed the metal on his hand. "What's wrong with my watch?" He asked, his gentle eyes twinkling.

"I see you everyday, the same time, winding that thing up, like a village priest saying mass."

Samantha lifted her head from her brother's shoulders and rose her cup. "Preach!" She agreed.

"Time - it's important to keep track, isn't it? Don't you think, Andrea?" The blonde merely chuckled, the people around them listening with open ears. "I like what, um, a father said to son when he gave him a watch that had been handed down through generations. He said; I give you the mausoleum of all hopes and desire, which will fit your individual needs no better then it did mine or my father's before me, I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it for a moment now and then and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it."

After Dale's speech, Samantha felt familiarity with his words and she glanced at him, a faint nostalgic smile pulling her lips.

"That's William Faulker, isn't it?" She asked, already knowing the answer.

Her words seemed to make Dale smile even more. "Yeah, it is, or maybe it's just my bad paraphrasing."

"You're both so weird." Amy commented, causing the children to erupt into giggles.

"You really know how to make me feel young, old man." Nathan agreed.

After a few moments of silence, Amy got up with a sigh, both Andrea and Nathan looking at her quizzically. "Where are you going?" Her sister questioned.