four.

CHAPTER FOUR,
the supply run

   NATHAN'S STORMY EYES were cloudy and his mind was fuzzy, his hand wrapped around his walkie talkie tightly as he adjusted the frequency

NATHAN'S STORMY EYES were cloudy and his mind was fuzzy, his hand wrapped around his walkie talkie tightly as he adjusted the frequency. It had a become a part of his routine; check on his missing brothers and try to reach them, hopefully to have some light shed on the situation instead of being left to find his way through the thick darkness.

But no light came.

"Anything yet?"

Nathan turned to look at Samantha from his seat, his shoulders shrugging and his bottom lip being brought in between his teeth. Skin had been ripped there, and he couldn't faintly taste old blood, but he wasn't exactly disgusted by the familiar taste. Blood had become something he was used to seeing and tasting, especially in the old world.

He gripped the roots of his hair and heaved a sigh that rocked his shoulders. He was sick of feeling useless. "No," He answered. "I'm beginning to think Fort Benning is overrun."

Samantha frowned, growing questions hidden behind her eyes but she was sick of trying to find answers for them. She wondered about his baby brother, the one who looked up to him as if he was superman, but she only assumed the worst. "I'm sorry, bud." She sympathized gently.

A smile was forced that didn't meet his sad eyes. "I shouldn't have expected better," He stated. "I feel worse for you, though. You're stuck with me while they head to Atlanta."

She nodded, and as much as she hated her big brother being overprotective of her, she loved him for it. "I'm not cool with it, but he's just looking out for me," A smirk pulled her lips. "Plus, this camp needs more badass security."

Nathan laughed, his somber mood being fought away with his growing grin. Samantha always had that effect on him, she was a girl of contagious smiles and contagious laughter after all.

"That's why I didn't volunteer." He informed.

Glenn walked out to them, his regular everyday cap shielding his eyes from the ray of the sun. "We're about to head out." He informed.

Nathan got up and shook his hand. "Be safe, man."

Glenn turned to the younger Walsh, who suddenly found herself jumping forward and wrapping her arms around the Korean in a tight hug. Glenn always liked her hugs, because she had the type that made it feel as if her embraced belonged to you.

Samantha felt terrible she couldn't go, but she trusted Glenn. He had Atlanta mapped in his head.

Nathan sighed theatrically. "I'll let you kids have your girl talk." And then with that, he left the two young adults.