seventeen.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN,
where's Otis?

   THE FEAR OF of losing Carl was on the top of her list, but the thought of two very important people in her life risking their lives in such a world like this made it hard for her to concentrate on anything else

Carl needed that chance, he had such a long life that needed to be lived out - but so did her brother, so did Nathan.

Her brain was tired from all the thoughts and the shock and the fear, and she just wanted nothing but peace. Not just for her, but for everyone else around her that was suffering - yet it seemed like a moment of peace didn't exist in such a world like this.

"He made a promise."

Samantha glanced over her shoulder in time to see Rick Grimes sitting next to her on the porch steps. He looked a little more stable now, better than how he was a few hours before.

An assuring smile outstretched his lips, but the exhaustion straining his blues told another story. "You know how he is with his promises." He added.

"You should be resting." Samantha stated, frowning.

Rick nodded understanding. "I had to check on you to make sure you were okay," He glanced back at the door, back at the house that smelled of his son's blood before back at the girl he thought of as a daughter. "It's okay to not be strong sometimes, Sammy."

Samantha shrugged, rubbing her head and trying to maintain her coolness.

However, even if she did look somewhat convincing - Rick was one of those few people who could see through a fake facade. "Shit happens."

He chuckled lightly. "I should use that line more often."

Samantha glanced at Rick, the man she always looked up to as a father. He had this expression that invited her to be honest with him and to cut the bullshit, as soon as she saw that invitation the tough exterior she tried keeping up broke down. The weigh of today finally took its toll, and her shoulders begin to shake as tears blurred her vision. The cop took her into his arms as she wept, clinging onto the fabric of his old uniform. She felt like a small child, vulnerable and scared - she absolutely hated it.

"You know," Rick started, his voice layered over her sobs. "Shane hated you once."

This caused her to abruptly stop, confusion replacing her worry as she stared up at him with glassy eyesX She didn't know what to say, his words not exactly comforting.