twenty nine.

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE,
judge and jury

   SAMANTHA TRIED TO avoid letting her eyes linger on the shed, knowing the events that were taking place beyond those walls

SAMANTHA TRIED TO avoid letting her eyes linger on the shed, knowing the events that were taking place beyond those walls. She knew there was a boy on the other side, a boy her age who was getting beaten and held captives. He was no longer a survivor, but a hostage - a caged animal. The fact that they were taunting him with his life didn't sit right in her stomach. It made her feel absolutely sick.

Dale was on the same page as her, equally disturbed as the young woman. When Rick brought up about the deed that Daryl was going to do, the color had left his face.

She heard him say something then. It was very faint, but Samantha's pretty sure she was the only one that heard it. It took her a moment to realize the message that had fell from his lips,

"We're losing ourselves."

Samantha peered at Shane, his dark eyes pinned on the shed, just itching to get in there. Her brother wanted to be the one to get answers out of their prisoner, but Rick was smart enough to know that if he did, they would have a dead body on our hands.

Shane wanted Randall gone. He wanted Randall dead, and he had Nathan with him on this one.

"Is there a plan?"

"Are we just going to keep him here?"

Rick and Shane glanced at one another, but it was the sheriff who answered, "We'll know soon enough."

Dale stood beside Samantha, letting out a soft sigh.

Footsteps approached, and the survivors all turned to see Daryl Dixon had finally finished his duty. He had his crossbow lazily sling over his shoulder, his hand gripping it. There was something off about him. Samantha couldn't decide what it was until her eyes finally studied his knuckles. They were bloody and bruised, and she bit my lip when she realized it wasn't just his own blood. The redneck didn't seem to care, and her having experience she knew how painful it was.

Perhaps he has become desensitized to the punches life has given him. Hell, maybe he had become desensitized to the punches he threw back.

"Boy in there's got a gang. Thirty men. They got heavy artillery and they ain't willin' to make friends," Daryl spoke, looking at Rick before letting his gaze go to the rest of the group. "They roll through here, our boys are dead. And our women," His eyes met green. "They gonna wish they were."

Samantha felt a shiver run up her spine, his words and icy truth to their world. She shouldn't be surprised. Without a balance, the species falls off and goes into chaos. They were a race of creatures so disciplined on law and order but now that it barely existed, there weren't any consequences.