forty eight.

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT,
yet it was

  NATHAN COUNTED THE cracks in the ground as he walked through the dim hallways

NATHAN COUNTED THE cracks in the ground as he walked through the dim hallways. There looked to be thousands, maybe millions of cut concrete beneath his feet. It got his attention once he entered the lonely building, starting from the entrance and seemingly endless.

Those millions of crack seemed to just exist. No ending nor so beginning. He knew what it was like to just be there, in a world where everything was yet he felt like he wasn't. To breathe, but not to feel like you were living.

Living seemed like a memory of ancient civilizations.

"Merle found Glenn and Maggie outside and brought them here."

He could vividly remember the breath being caught in his throat and the shock making his brain stutter. He almost stood up and rushed out of the door, but decided how idiotic that would be.

"We want to bring them back to their group, but they refuse to tell us for their own security reasons."

Nathan found the door after turning a corner, resembling the same one that Keri's twitching corpse had been - the one where his last memory of Samantha was. A dark room for a girl that had been full of life, now gone.

His eyes burned, and he brought his hand to wipe away at the forming wetness.

The door stood in front of him, large and intimidating. He pulled out the key, the same one he had stolen when the Governor wasn't looking. He wasn't supposed to be here, but that only made him want to be. Something about all of this wasn't right, a whole facade that was put up. He had to find the truth, he had to know.

Nathan swallowed and opened the door, being met with brick walls and a dim light illuminating the room. It made his throat feel dry, remembering the last time he had been in a room like this. It was all too much of a familiar pain that he wanted to store away.

"Nathan?"

He blinked and quickly followed the familiar voice, a feeling of intense happiness surging through him at the sight of the Asian features that belonged to Glenn Rhee. He could make out the shock on every inch and detail of his features, and he was sure he could feel it on his own. That had been his friend, someone he was close with back at the old group, and here he was.

Nathan shut the door behind him and stepped into the room, his hand lingering on the door as he tried to find the right words to say. What could he say? It had been no long, and too overwhelming.

He wasn't supposed to be in here. His time was limited so whatever reason he came in for he had to force out.

"What happened?" He finally pushed out from the barrens of his mouth. "Why are you here?"