Seventeen

"Did you see the look on her face?" Sami yells again, her grin stretching her face and making me smile as well.

"You're fucking sexy when you're angry" Taehyung comments, making me wink in his direction.

"What did her brother tell you anyway?"

I swing my arm around Jimin's shoulders and pull him closer to my side, making him stumble slightly as we walk down the sidewalk and towards my house.

"The bitch lied and told her brother that I was bullying her" I say with a roll of my eyes. "She must be desperate to get into your pants if she tried to get someone to intimidate me into submission."

I laugh as I am pushed, Jimin scowling at the thought of Dara liking him in that way. I can tell that he really doesn't seem to be interested in her at all, him set on not giving her the time of day. That makes me curious as to why though. He's a hormonal guy who has a decent looking girl practically throwing herself at him, so why isn't he jumping at the opportunity to sleep with her?

I let it go for now, using the key I keep with me to unlock the front door. I notice that my mom's car is in the driveway though, it looking as if she cane home early from work today.

"Mom!" I shout as soon as I open the door, bending over so that I can take my shoes off. "I'm home!"

"What? Why?" she calls as she enters the living room from the kitchen, disappointment in her eyes now that she knows that I'm ditching.

"Someone tried to beat me up."

I leave out the part about wanting to ditch even before the incident with Dara's brother, not wanting another lecture. I also leave out the part that I wasn't even hurt as well.

"Hi Charley's mom" Jin happily says as he waves at the woman who just noticed their presence, the rest of the guys and Sami doing the same.

She frowns disapprovingly at the tattoos and piercings adorning their skin but doesn't say anything about it, turning back to look at me after a quick greeting.

"I need to talk to you real quickly" she says as she nods towards the kitchen, making me raise an eyebrow in confusion. I watch her back as she turns around the corner, turning to look at my friends as I cross my arms.

"Y'all can either wait down here or in my room, it's up to you."

"I'll take them upstairs" Sami answers for the group, grabbing onto Jimin's wrist and dragging him behind her. The others follow her and I make my way into the kitchen to see what it is that mom wants to talk to me about this time.

"Quickly please" she sighs out when she sees me coming, motioning towards the chair situated in front of her. "I only came back to have lunch. I need to head back to work soon."

I sit down in front of her and wait for what it is that she has to tell me, having no clue what it is that she could want. I have been a much better student than I have been in the past, so it can't be about that. I haven't gotten detention yet, so she can't be mad about that. I also haven't had any teachers call her so far, so I have absolutely no clue as to what she wants to talk to me about.

"I......"she pauses and links her fingers together, making me narrow my eyes suspiciously. She doesn't meet my gaze and it's as if she is almost afraid to tell me this news, it obviously not something that I will like very much.

She takes a deep breath, "I'm thinking about getting back together with your father."

"You're shitting me."

I stand from my seat, my hands flat on the kitchen table as I stare down at her incredulously. She bites her lower lip and glances up at me before looking away again, making me scoff.

"You have got to be kidding me" I whisper, raising my hands above my head before letting them fall and slap against my thighs. "He's the reason I'm the way I am, you know that, right?"

"That's not true" she stands as well, finally finding her voice. "It's because you started hanging out with Jay all of the time."

"What else did you expect?" I yell, making her flinch. I don't care though. I don't care if I'm being too loud, or if I'm being disrespectful.

"Of course I hung out with Jay! He was the only one in this house who believed me when I said that dad was mentally and physically abusing me."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore" she says with a sigh, making me grind my teeth in anger. She goes to walk past me but I step in front of her, glaring at her as I let all of my anger out.

"You keep asking me why I do what I do mom, but you won't listen to me when I tell you. I'm the way that I am because dad would beat me every time I did something wrong. Every time I messed up even a little, he would always be there to tell me how worthless I am. How do you think it feels to tell your mom how you got hurt, and have her laugh at you and say that you're delusional?"

She blinks, her expression not changing in the slightest. I scoff as I cross my arms, not sure what I expected.

"You wonder why I act like I hate you all the time, yet you won't even believe a word I say."

"I don't trust you anymore, Charley" she says with a resigned sigh. "Trust must be earned."

My eyebrows raise in disbelief, "so you didn't trust me when I was five?"

She's at a loss for words, her mouth slack as she stares blankly in front of me. I shake my head, not wanting to talk about it anymore. It's obvious who she loves, who she trusts, and who she listens to. She divorced my father because he was cheating on her, not because she believed that the man she was in love with hit her little girl.

"Whatever" I sigh, backing away from her. "It's your life, so you can do whatever you want with it. Don't expect me to be happy for you though."