Forty

I pull on some light blue skinny jeans, rips in the knee areas. A long-sleeved red and black striped shirt goes on next, it tight against my chest. An over-sized white shirt with a black skull on it goes over that, a black and white beanie going over my hair. I tug on my socks before grabbing my combat boots, only putting my phone, wallet, and a pack of cigarettes into my pockets.

Sami and Jimin both left for school a while ago, but I couldn't bring myself to go with them. I know that the car ride there would have been tense and awkward with Mr.s Park trying to break the ice, so I slept in. It also gave me more time to push what happened with my father into the dark recesses of my mind. 

I check my reflection in the mirror one last time and wince at how red my cheek still is, walking over to my makeup so that I can cover it with concealer. I wouldn't normally do stuff like that because I don't usually care about what other's think of me, but I would like to avoid getting any questions about the mark. My friends aren't even talking to me at the moment anyway, so I'm not exactly sure why I'm so worried. 

I sigh and pick up my skateboard, putting the blunt I rolled earlier this morning into my mouth as I make my way down the stairs. I snag a lighter from the table by the front door and put my boots on, lighting the blunt as I make my way outside. The air is relatively cold today. They said on the news that it is supposed to rain tomorrow night, today's weather reflecting that prediction.

I inhale the pungent smoke from the blunt as I skate past people taking walks and going to work, my free hand in my front pocket. This is nice. I have always found comfort in riding my skateboard around, the wind whipping through my hair and the smell of the the coming rain tickling my nose. It almost makes me forget about everything that is going on right now, only a small roach left when I finally reach the school.

It appears to be lunch time, the hallways empty as noise echos out from the open doors of the cafeteria. I put my skateboard into my locker before closing it and walking over to the cafeteria doors, looking in from the entrance.

All of my friends are sitting around our usual table, frowns on their faces as they discuss something. I don't know what they are talking about, but Jimin doesn't look happy. He looks up as soon as I think this, his eyes finding mine despite the distance between us. I don't stay for long, turning and walking up to the rooftop to wait until the bell rings for classes to start again. There is no way I am going in there just to be sent away again. 

I climb the stairs with a heavy heart, opening the door as my eyes shut from the wind I am assaulted with. The sun is bright up here as I walk towards the railing surrounding the perimeter of the roof, no one else in sight. At least I know that I won't be bothered up here.

"Charley."

Spoke too soon.

"What do you want?" I groan in frustration, clenching my eyes shut as I turn around and it's Jimin standing in front of me. "If you say one more thing about me being a snitch I swear to God I will put my foot so far up your motherfuckin' ass that--"

"I'm sorry."

I stop mid-threat, my eyes blinking rapidly as I refocus on the male standing in front of me. He is biting his lip as he looks at me, his hands fidgeting nervously in front of him. I school my features and cross my arms, raising one eyebrow as I look him over. 

"I'm listening."

He gulps, "I know you're probably still mad at me for accusing you, but you've got to look at it from my perspective, Charley. I've been spending a lot of time with you since you started going here, and then I mess everything up by asking you out. I was upset and started dating Dara to make you jealous and then I got pulled into the principles office and ratted on for something that I only used to do with you. I figured you were trying to get back at me for not talking to you, and I overreacted."