Chapter 19

When I woke up the next morning, Regulus was snoring softly and he still had his arm around me. My head was leaned up against his shoulder, and my hands were no longer as purple as they had been the night before. My stomach growled, I wanted to get food but Regulus deserved to sleep after last night.

He finally opened his eyes lightly and looked around. He gave out a deep breath and hugged me. "I'm sorry." I whispered. He laughed, "about what?" I looked up at him, "everything". He nodded, "I know."

We got up and made some sort of breakfast with the bread, and granola bars. When the guards came up, I saw Remus talking with them. He walked over and smiled at me, "come on now." I ran over to him and jumped in his arms, "where?" I asked. "You'll see, good morning Regulus." He called. Regulus gave a small wave, and answered, "Remus."

Remus grabbed my hand as we walked down the hallways. Everyone was screaming at me, they thought I was getting released, but I knew I wasn't. Their hands reached out and I edged closer to Rem. He put his arms around me, and for the first time in forever I felt safe again.

When I was younger, I could never remember a time me and Remus fought. There was one time I think I was twelve, and I was sitting in my bedroom on my bed, I can't remember what I was doing. But Remus walked in, and for some reason I was annoyed by this. I yelled at him for no reason, something about knocking or whatever. He smiled at me and told me he understood. I've never really heard him raise his voice at anyone, except me like once. He was just a gentle person and I was glad that regardless of everything, I still had him.

Once we got to the front of the prison there were side rooms. Remus pulled me off to the side and knelt down, "how are you holding up?" He asked worried. "I'm trying." I whispered. He hugged me, "I'm sorry, you didn't deserve any of this." I hugged him back tightly scared to let go. "There's some people in there who wanted to check in on you." He pointed to one of the side rooms. I pushed open the door and saw Jackson with his arm around Kaite, and Dylan sitting on the stone bench.

I smiled at them and immediately they all stood up. Kate wrapped me in a giant hug, and squealed excitedly. Dylan and Jackson pulled me in and I laughed. "Are you okay?" Kaite asked scared. I nodded, "I'm surviving. How's your summer going?" I asked. They all shrugged, "it's been kind've boring really." Dylan said. Then Jackson joked, "how's yours been?"

Kaite hit him, causing me and Dylan to laugh. "Best summer yet." I sarcastically answered. "We brought you something." Jackson told me then ruffled through his bag for a small book. "Thank you." I said happily. "Here's some crackers also." Dylan passed over a box. These would be good with Regulus peanut butter I thought.

"What do they even feed you here?" Jackson asked. "Food that will make you sick before you even taste it." I answered. "What are you eating then?" Kaite asked shocked. I held up the crackers, "I'll be eating these, Regulus has peanut butter, we also have granola bars and candy and such." I answered. "What are the prisoners like?" Dylan questioned. I thought for a moment, "they're crazy, but I suppose only the guilty go mad." All three of them nodded, and Kaite grabbed my hand. "Listen our parents don't want us coming all that often. But I promise at least once a month, we'll be here. We miss you too much." She softly told me. I nodded, "you shouldn't be coming here. When I get out all of us can just start again." Jackson held up his hand, "Riley we want to be here for you." I sighed, "it's not safe, I don't want you guys to have to see me like this." Dylan leaned forward, "A saying you should know, if we can't handle you at your worst, we don't deserve you at your best." Jackson added, "he's right, and I don't think you could get any worse right now." Kaite smacked him, and Dylan gave him a look. They all made me laugh. "Don't listen to him, if it were any of us, we wouldn't have handled things nearly as well as you did." Kaite said. I smiled, "thanks for coming." We all stood up and I hugged them each on the way out.

Remus walked into the room as they left, he had a smile plastered on his face. "How was their visit?" He asked. I sat back down beside him, "it was good." He nodded and wrapped his arm around me. There was nothing I missed more than just sitting down with Remus. We could talk about anything for hours. "I've ruined your life, Remus." He jerked forward shocked, "you did no such thing." I scoffed, "I did and we both know that. Think of all the pain and trouble you wouldn't have had to go through if I just wasn't around. I don't think I should leave Azkaban. I deserve this place." I could hear the hurt in his voice, "you aren't staying here Riley, listen to me. You've been strong, stronger than anyone I've ever know. Stay that way. I am bringing you home and there is not a question about it." He said sternly. "No I can see it, you don't want me there. I'm just a reminder." I cried. "A reminder of what?" He asked. I sobbed harder, "of everything, I'm so so sorry. You have to understand that." He knelt down in front of me, "Don't be sorry, you did the right thing I can assure you of that." He tried to comfort me, but I shook my head. "You don't have to take me in again Remus you have Tonks now." I wiped tears away, "you deserve her, you deserve to be happy." He lifted my head up so I was looking straight in his eyes, "You have always been like my daughter, I wouldn't let you go for anything in the world." I looked down, and pried my hands off my face, taking big breaths. "I just want my home." I sadly whispered. He hugged me, "You will get it, I can promise you that." I nodded my head, and burried my head into his shoulders. "I'll be back soon Ry, you need to try and rest, I can tell your exhausted." I agreed, and gave him one last hug, he gave me a bag to take up with me, and waved at me while the guards took me back to my cell.