Chapter 21

Jayda

Jayda

"Cowgirl I'm taking you on a date tonight." Trevon said and I immediately declined.

"Tre you know I'm swamped in work right now. Exams are right around the corner."

"That's exactly why I'm taking you out. You need a break baby." He said and I bit my lip.

"Fine." I mumbled.

"Great be ready in like 30 minutes." He said before hanging up.

"You good sis?" Angel asked coming from the bathroom. I guess I was staring out into space because I didn't answer her out loud.

"Ok that's it. We're having a talk." She said turning my chair around and then pulling hers in front of mine.

"What's going on?" She asked me crossing her right leg over her left.

"What do you mean? I'm okay." I scrunched my face up confused.

"No you're not ok. You're stressed the fuck out. I'm not only your roommate, but your best friend. I notice." She said and my eyes immediately teared up. Maybe I wasn't as discreet as I wanted to be.

"Ang I'm good." I said making myself laugh and fanning my face.

"It's okay to not be good. It's ok to not be happy all the time Jayda. You're our light and because of that you feel as you can never feel dull or break. Lights have an off switch switch for a reason." She said causing my emotions to  become overwhelming. "Like I said before what's going on?"

"I'm not happy Angel. I think I'm depressed. All of this work is so piled up and I know I can get it done and catch back up if I don't sleep which is why I take those Anti-sleep pills. Less sleep means more productivity." I spilled out.

"Keep going.."

"I don't wanna get a medical degree, but my mom is a nurse and she wants me to be like her just better so all my life I've been playing doctor. Doctor this Doctor that. What if I'm not good enough to be a doctor? God I really wanna be a 2nd grade teacher. I love kids with a passion." By this time my emotional dam has broke and I was a heaping mess of tears and snot. I couldn't control my breathing and I felt as if I was about to have a panic attack.

"Shit. I don't know what to do. Nevaeh!" I heard Angel yell before I blacked out.

••

"How long has she been out?" A very worried voice said.

"This is going on day 2." Another voice said.

I heard a constant and steady beeping noise. My body felt stiff and my throat dry. I wanted to open my eyes but they felt so heavy. I wanted more time to sleep but something in me told me to open my eyes. So I did. The room was dark the only light source was the windows and the tv.