Chapter 31

Nevaeh

"Nevy." A voice I haven't heard in over a month said from behind. It wasn't that I was purposely avoiding him, I just wasn't really trying to see him.

"Khalil." I spoke softly afraid to turn around. My hand hasn't moved from the book I was about to pull out from the shelf.

"Can you look at me? Please." His tone was desperate as if he absolutely needed to see my face. Still I stood there frozen.

"I just wanna talk." He mumbled and I caved. I pulled the book from the shelf and turned around looking up at him through my eyelashes.

He still looked better than ever. His dreads seemed to have grew since the last time I saw him, though I can tell they were recently retwisted. He had on his usual hipster clothes that were always paired in some boots. Finally, I reached his eyes. The same eyes that took my breath away from day 1. They held regret and sorrow.

"We can talk." I shyly said picking at the sleeves of my sweater.

"I know I'm the last person you wanna talk to, but you have been on my mind the moment we fell off. I know it seemed as if we were on a date, but I swear we weren't. I would never disrespect or embarrass you-"

"But you did." I cut him off quietly since we were still in a library.

"I wanted to talk to someone close to you and get inside that mind of yours. I wanted a way to your heart. Nicole said she was only available during dinner, so I asked and offered the cafe. She told me no and told me to meet at that place." He said grabbing my free hand.

Despite me avoiding him after he said he loved me he was still there for me when Jayda was in the hospital. That sounded a lot like something Nicole would say seeing as how she was always the manipulative type.

"I still love you Nevaeh. Nothing has changed and quite frankly I don't think it will change." He mumbled the last part more to himself.

I grabbed his face and kissed him slowly and soft. He immediately reached down and captured my waist in his hands pulling me closer to his body.

"I love you too Khalil." I whispered rubbing my thumb on his cheek. His smile stretched ear to ear as he pulled me into a bone crushing hug lifting me in the air.

I did love Khalil. I have for a while, so I think that's why I was so upset when I saw what I saw between the two.

"You don't know how long I've waited for you to say that." He sighed pulling away from me. As he smiled down at me it felt like the perfect moment that was until my phone started ringing. I pulled it out and my eyes bucked at the caller I.D.

"Give me one second." I said pulling away from him and walking to where he couldn't hear me.

"Bella, where are you?" Izzy's french accent rang through my ears. I had completely forgotten about him in that wick of a moment.

"I'm a bit busy right now. What's up?" I asked looking up at Khalil who gave me a questioning look. I smiled a reassuring smile letting him know everything was fine.

"I was trying to see if you wanted to do something like grab food after my class." He said and I sighed because I already felt the guilt slowly creeping in.

"I can't today. How about a rain check?" I asked biting my lip.

"Okay that's fine. I'll text you later." He said before he hung up. I walked back over to Khalil who was still patiently waiting for me.

"Who was that" He asked and I slightly panicked inside as I already felt the sweat beads forming. I was never that good of a liar.

"Oh just Kali. Talking about nonsense." I waved him off with a slight laugh and playful eyeroll.