Chapter Three: Big Bad Wolf

The bar in Tennessee was loud, smelled of sweaty men and booze, and was the last place I would ever expect to find my old friend. He was near the back, his knee bouncing up and down nervously, and every once in a while, he would glance around. 

"Jason, what's up? How is my favorite detective doing?" I asked him as I took a seat. 

Two new men came in. One of them started making rounds to the table. 

"Europa, thank god. I'm so sorry; I lied to you. I need to meet you, but I don't have anything for your thesis. This is a copy of my work; I found something big. That serial killing back in 1912 had happened before in the same line. I think Mystic Falls could be in some trouble. There are always killings when those animal attacks show up, be careful."

I looked at him with raised eyebrows, "Jase, what did you find." I asked softly, taking the file from his hand. 

"Just read over it, you'll see. Keep it safe. I have to go." Then he stood up and walked away just as the second man made his way to my table. "Hello, sir." I greeted with a soft smile, hiding the shock that I felt upon seeing his face. 

I was looking right at Stefan Salvatore. The man, my sister, has been trying to find for three months now. "You will not do anything t help the man that my friend is about to hurt, understand?" He was trying to compel me, the bitch. Playing along, I nodded my head, and he moved to the next table. 

Not five minutes later I heard a pained scream and was on my feet, storming over. "Why don't you leave him alone," I said. Hopefully, the man in front of me wasn't Klaus; he was kinda cute. 

The blonde paused and looked at Stefan, who shrugged his shoulders. "And who might you be love?" 

"My name is Europa Gilbert," I said confidently. 

Both men faltered as they stared at me. "Gilbert? Any relation to Elena Gilbert and Jeremy?" His blue eyes bore into mine, and for a moment I considered lying to him. Then I realized he could hear my heartbeat and would know if I lied. 

What I need to do is bend the truth slightly. "Yeah, my siblings." 

"I'm sorry for your loss, I know it must be difficult to lose family. I myself have lost members of my own family; I understand your pain." He told me sincerely. 

At least he seemed sincere. "Thank you, how do you know my brother and sister?" 

"You mean knew?" The man I assumed to be Klaus asked me. 

Now it was time to avoid the truth. "Well, Jeremy isn't dead so no, I mean know," I said with a grimace. Maybe if I just think of the pain of losing Jenna and my parents, my facial expression will be accurate. 

"Ah, of course, young Jeremy. Well, as it happens I substituted at the school for a time," He must be talking about when he took over Ric's body, "Then my brother had a deal going down with the historical society and Jenna had helped along with poor Elena, tell me, were you there for the funeral?" 

"No, we got that done fairly quickly before I could get back from Michigan," I answered. It wasn't a complete lie. There was a funeral, and it was done before I was home from Michigan. It just wasn't Elena's. Klaus hummed and took a sip of his bourbon. "So, why don't you leave this gentleman here alone." 

"Yeah, about that love, I'm afraid I can't do that. You see, he hurt someone very close to me. I can't just let him get away with it." Klaus told me grabbing my arm and leading me away from Stefan and the man they were torturing. I felt cold fear grip my heart then. This surely wouldn't be good. 

We left the bar and walked towards a dark car outside. "Hey, I don't mean any trouble, why don't you let me go, and I swear I won't say a word about any of this." I started to bargain.