Chapter Forty-Four: Goodnight, Saigon

I was standing with Elijah when Jeremy and Matt walked into the house, looking guilty. "Something is up," I whispered to Elijah worriedly. The Original said nothing, just nodded. 

Jeremy looked over at me, and I could see the worry in his eyes, we had a lot we needed to talk about and no time to do it, "I think I figured out a way to get the Stake from Alaric, he was just asking for my help to kill you guys. He trusts me. If I call him and give him a fake place where we are burying the body, he'll believe it."

all of us shared worried glances before I sighed, "It's the best shot we have, make the call." 

As soon as the phone picked up, Jeremy started talking, "I know where Klaus' body is."

"Good. Tell me." Alaric ordered. I could hear the smirk in his voice. 

"Damon's on his way to bury him in the woods off Route 12. I'll text you with the specifics." I watched Jeremy speak; he was really flawless at lying anymore, a trait I wish he didn't have to have.

"Thank you, Jeremy. You're doing the right thing for your sister."

At Alaric's words, Jeremy looked at Elena then rested his eyes on me, "I know." Hanging up the phone, Jeremy looked at everyone else in the room, "He bought it." 

Everyone got ready to go, Jeremy, with the group and Matt staying with Elena at home. Before I left though, I grabbed Matt and dragged him to my parent's room, "Be quiet, I know what you and Jer are planning, you two are not slick. If you're going to do this, though, then you need something to get her to go with you." 

"What? Why?" Ignoring him, I went to my parent's closet and pressed on the false wall they told me about before I left for college. Grabbing the herb, I backed out of the arsenal and turned to Matt with the bag, "Why are you helping us?" 

"Elena and Jeremy need a normal life. They've been dragged so far into this vampire crap that it started changing their sense of right and wrong. Make this into a tea and give it to Elena, she'll pass out then you can get her as far out of town as you can get. I'll send you money once you find a place and get you guys new identities. Just keep her safe." 

Matt grabbed my arm and stared into my eyes in confusion, "Wait, you know you could come with us." 

"No, I can't. I'm part of the problem, they need to restart, and I can't be with them. Bye, Matt." I said with a smile, then sped to Elijah's side and started walking. I could feel the Original's eyes on me, "Just say what you want to say, Elijah."

"You know this is the best thing for her, right? You are doing the right thing." He assured me. 

I sighed and looked up at the oldest Original, "I'm their big sister, I'm supposed to protect them. Instead, I'm about to send them out into the world and away from me because I'm what they need protection from. I have the rest of eternity, and the only person I would want to spend it with isn't here." 

Pursing his lips, Elijah nodded and gestured forward. Dropping the topic, we ran to set up Alaric's demise together. 

It was night out, I was assigned to stick to Elijah like glue as we waited for Alaric to show up. Unfortunately, the bastard was taking his sweet time. "What do you plan to do after all this?" Elijah asked from where he was leaning against a tree patiently. 

Glancing at him, I shrugged and looked down, "I'm not entirely sure. Probably go and finish my doctorate. After that, I don't know. I have nothing but time staring me down, and I'm not sure what I should do with it. Maybe I'll just keep going to school, after all of this, I think I might be interested in a degree in psychology."