Chapter Five: Gloria's Bar

When I next woke, it was light outside, and I felt comfortable and warm. I was in a bed, not my bed, but a bed nonetheless. This bed was far more comfortable than my bed at home. I looked around and found Mary, sitting on the couch a few feet away, Jackson across the room, and two new vampires I hadn't seen before were there too. 

One was guarding the door, the other the balcony. 

"I wouldn't recommend trying to kill me again," Mary spoke up from the couch. 

Of course, she knew I was awake. She's a vampire, duh! "Sorry about that," I mumbled softly, sitting up in the bed but never leaving it. "It was nothing personal." 

Mary snorted and stood up, walking towards me. My heart quickened. Was she going to kill me? No, of course not, I'm sure Klaus had compelled her to make sure no harm came to me. At least, I hope he did. "What is that necklace? Why did it burn me?" 

"How old are you?" I countered with a question. 

If she was a new vampire, I'm sure I could spin a tale in my favor. "Klaus turned me a month ago. The rest of them after me."  Aha, she was new, and so were the others. Perfect. 

"It's silver. Silver hurts vampires. Werewolves made up the story that it hurt them so that hunters would bring them silver in hopes to kill them. Werewolves would then take that silver after slaughtering the hunter, and start hunting their favorite prey, vampire." It was partially true, Elena had told me over a phone call back when Mason Lockwood was a problem that silver didn't hurt werewolves. 

That was the only part of it that was true though. 

Mary gave my necklace an uneasy look and gave an involuntary step back. "We're in Chicago, yeah?" I asked softly, standing up and moving to the window. 

"Yes," Mary answered me slowly, unsure of my intentions. I don't blame her; I did kill her after all. 

I smiled at the skyline and wrapped my arms around my stomach. "I've never been to Chicago before you know, it's so incredible." 

We didn't say anything else to each other for some time. It was dusk by the time the silence had been interrupted, as well as my reading which I was very upset about.

"Hey, Jude, 
Don't make it bad.
Take a sad song,
And make it better." 

My phone started to ring, playing Jeremy's ringtone. Mary pulled it from her pocket and read the caller ID then turned to me. "Answer it but don't tell him what has happened or I will throw you from the balcony." 

Clicking the answer button, I put the phone to my ear. "Jer?" I asked into the receiver. 

"Europa! I have been blowing up your phone, where the hell are you? Alaric searched all of Tennessee for you in any hospital, but you were never admitted." 

I had to be careful now; I needed to get it across to him what had happened without tipping off Mary, Jackson, Muscle One, and Muscle Two. "Jer, I went to a clinic, the doctor took me home. He felt pity for me after I told him about Jenna and Elena's deaths." 

"Elena didn't - oh my god. Europa, please tell me that you are not with Kla-" 

"Elijah is his name. Said he knew Elena and Jenna through mom. He also knew Alaric and Stefan for a time. Don't worry; I'm safe." Klaus was extremely paranoid. He wouldn't tell his family history to a few vampires he just turned and had to compel. 

There was a moment of silence on the other end as my sibling pieced everything together. Jeremy was always the more perceptive one. "Okay, I'll let Damon, Ric, and everyone know you're safe. You'll be home soon right?"