Chapter Forty: Wanted, Dead or Alive

A/N: Fair is fair, here is a chapter. I have to admit, this is one of my better chapters; however, I felt obligated to give a trigger warning. It won't be until the end of the chapter; however, there is a graphic depiction that while I was writing it, I got a little on edge about. But, it's great writing, so it's staying, but when you see this: ***, then that means you can skip it.

I was seated on the couch in Klaus's art room, reading a book while he painted. I called out to work again to ensure that Rebekah was really Rebekah and not Esther. I heard the strokes of Klaus' paintbrush stop and glanced up, expecting to see Rebekah or Esther standing in the room; instead, I found Klaus a foot from my face staring at me in concern.

I jumped and leaned back, "Klaus, what the hell? Personal space. What's up?"

"Your neck is bruised."

I nodded and touched the tender skin, "Well, you did strangle me against a wall yesterday, human skin tends to bruise when that happens."

Not replying to my sass, Klaus bit his hand and offered it to me. I almost rejected it, but I knew this was his apology and that it would hurt our shaky relationship more. So, I hesitantly took a mouthful of blood and tried to not grimace at the taste as my sore throat healed up.

Then, Klaus went back to his painting like nothing ever happened.

The blonde walked into the room with a smile and the stake in hand. Immediately, my body stiffened as I watched Rebekah approach, Klaus. The original hybrid met my eyes before greeting Rebekah, "What took you so long?"

"Alaric didn't want to hand over the stake," She said before pulling it out and showing it to him, "Luckily, I'm quite the charmer."

Klaus almost visibly relaxed, but I stayed cautious. This could all be a ploy, and Esther could be trying to get close enough to kill him, "That's it?"

"The last of the white oak stakes that can kill us. Do you want to do the honors or shall I?" In a flash, Klaus had taken the white oak from her hand, not wholly reassured yet, and thrown it in the fire. I watched with satisfaction as the flames flared up and devoured the wood. "Well, that's that then."

Nodding, Klaus turned away from the fire, "Pack your bags, we're leaving."

Rebekah and I both looked at him in shock, "Today?"

"Why not? There's nothing keeping us here. We'll grab the doppelgänger and be off by sunset." I blinked at Klaus in shock. He was leaving. He was going to take my sister and leave me here. I had to hold back the tears threatening to fall, it's not like I was under any delusions that he loved me, why would I think he would stay for me, or even take me with him?

"But tonight is the decade dance." Complained Rebekah.

The Hybrid looked at his sister, oddly, "So?"

"So, I'm head of the committee, we have to go." The Original demanded.

Klaus rolled his eyes, "I'm not going to any dance."

Rebekah narrowed her eyes at her brother and crossed her arms, "Europa will be there."

I blinked in shock, looking at Rebekah in confusion, "I will?"

I saw the suspicion in his eyes, something was up with Rebekah. All she's wanted was to leave this town, and now she wanted to stay? It didn't make sense. With that said, it didn't make what he said next any less hurtful, "That means nothing to me."

"Please, I have big plans for tonight. Just go for me." Pleaded Rebekah.

Relenting, Klaus nodded and forced a smile, "Okay, fine. One last hoorah."