employed

—————————<3——————————

you walked down the wooden stairs of your cozy home. you lived in hateno village, with your mother, father, two younger brothers and a sister who was 2 years younger than you. you were currently carrying a large basket full of clothes.

most of them came from your two brothers.

your home was on a small hill, near the landlord's home but a bit far off. the house was two story, two bedrooms on the bottom and two bedrooms upstairs. your room was downstairs.

you walked to your backyard, barely being able to carry the basket. you plopped it down onto the grass and stared up at the white lining that connected to your house and to a pole that stood straight up from the ground. you began to hang the clothes in silence, every now and then humming a sweet tune.

you didn't mind doing chores; you had to do a lot of them actually. it was a standard routine for you and you couldn't feel happier that you'd do it instead of your parents. you were an angel!

your sister, mia, would occasionally help you out but she was mostly stuck in her room, her nose in a large book. your two younger brothers, dayta and telyn, always played outside in the small farm your family owned.

your mother was always down in the market, selling ingredients that came freshly from your farm. your father was busy working in the paddocks and wheat farm, gathering supplies for your family and for business. however, business was going awfully slow lately. and you were running out of rupees.

you were casually hanging up some clothes while your father was sitting on a small wooden bench beside you, drinking a beer. it was a calm and quiet day in hateno village, your father was taking a day off, your mother was napping and your siblings were either outside playing or inside eating.

"father, do you hear that?"

your father turned his head towards you.

"i don't hear anything, y/n."

-

"it's the sound of relaxation and calmness."

you and your father breathed in the sweet fresh scented air and exhaled. shortly, the relaxation disappeared.

hooves trotting was the sound that interrupted this peaceful day. you turned around, placing the last bit of clothing onto the line and you stood next to your father. he stood up straight and tall, carefully placing down the bottle on the stool. your mother had just woken up and she opened the door slowly, listening to the commotion.

the noise was getting closer and you could see that the horses were browns and whites. each holding the royal crest on their bridle and saddle.

your mother walked over to your father and held his arm tightly.

you stayed quiet.

there were about six royal guards, each on top of a horse. there were 3 extra horses being lead behind them with empty riders. two of the guards held a large flag, with the signature colour of the royal family. the blue colour was definitely something worth royalty.

but to your surprise, they stopped right in front of your house!

your father stepped forward.

"is there something you need?"

the leading guard pulled out a neat and watered down yellow scroll and read aloud:

"we have come to your village, for the royal family are in need of new employees. the new recruits shall be either butlers or maids in the royal castle—some of them serving the royal family specifically. they have asked to employ your eldest child, and shall receive a fortnightly pay of 50 rupees."

your parents gasped.

50 rupees a fortnight?

"is this your eldest child, sir?"

your father looked at you and smiled sadly. he nodded.

"we shall bring her back to hyrule castle, where she can perhaps serve for her majesty, princess zelda."

you looked at your parents.

"y/n, do you want to do this?"

your mother asked you sadly. both of your parents were upset that you had to leave them. and being a maid in the royal castle probably meant that you wouldn't be able to see them anytime soon. at least, not that often.

but 50 rupees was a lot, and you wanted to help your family in every way possible. you smiled at your parents.

"it'll be alright, i'll ask to send the money to you. i'll help our family at any cost."

your parents hugged you tightly and your mother wiped a tear away. you chuckled and fixed your worn out f/c dress. one of the royal guards stepped down from their steed and lead you to a dark brown horse. you mounted it carefully and slowly, then held onto the reigns.

you waved goodbye to your parents, with a smile on your face. your sister ran out of the door, she called to you.

"y/n! don't leave me!"

you shouted back.

"i'll visit you! i promise!"