What Were The Odds

Chapter 20

I awoke to aroma of freshly cooked bacon filling my room, “Great” I thought. I knew Dustin knew I was starving and would stop at nothing to get me to come downstairs sooner.

I went downstairs however since I realized I still needed to come up with a song to sing for The Grove’s singing competition on Saturday and I just wanted to move the arguing with Dustin out of the way.

“Hey” Dustin said as I entered the kitchen.

“Hey” I said as emotionless as he had just answered me.

“Look I know you’re hungry so will you just hear me out before you say anything?” He asked so I just nodded my head in agreement with his proposition.

“Look Kendall called and told me about what went down yesterday.”

I looked at Dustin in shock. Did Kendall really spill on our secret? How could he?

Look, he told me how the two of you went out to eat but then he told you that he had tickets to see Ed Sheeran in San Diego that night so you couldn’t resist the offer. I don’t blame you, its Ed “freakin” Sheeran after all! I would’ve gone in a heart beat…so how was the show?" He said.

It took me a second to process the brilliant lie that Kendall had come up before answering him.

“It was amazing! One of the best concerts I’ve ever been to! His voice was so hypnotizing.” I said as convincingly excited as I could portray without looking like a complete liar.

“Cool! So I’m guessing you guys slept in a hotel?” He asked.

“Nope, we slept in the car in a nice hotels parking lot.” I said.

“Oh, ok…well as long as he-”

“We didn’t do anything but hang out ok.” I told Dustin with a reassuring look on my face and he smiled right back.

“Ok, I believe you.” He said as he served me some breakfast.

I felt bad that I was lying to him just as he was starting to trust me, but I couldn’t tell him the truth or else he’d forbid me from seeing Kendall ever again.

“Oh hey Dustin could you give me a lift, I got to go pick up my car at-”

“Already taken cared of.” Dustin said. “I guess you were so mad at me last night that you didn’t even notice it parked on the street did you?”

I looked out the window to see if he was telling the truth, which he was.

“Oh, well thanks” I said hesitantly.

“So what are your plans for today?” He asked.

“What are your plans for today?” I asked. We both gave each other suspicious looks before smiling.

Laughing Dustin said “Well I guess the guys and I are going to rehearse for The Grove’s competition on Saturday.”

“Me too, but then I have to go to this charity event with James later.” I said.

“What for?” He asked.

“Its a bachelor auction, basically guys will be auctioned off for dates and the money is all going to help fund money to keep music programs in school.” I said

“Cool” he said

“Yeah, Avril Lavigne’s hosting it.”

“Avril Lavigne? She’s hot, get me an autograph and picture?!” He said