16. Perceiving Things Differently

Blaise stood leaning against the doorframe of his room looking at the empty crib. He took a deep breath to maintain his very controlled composure and turned around to head out of his room for the last time.

He picked up his bags, checked the room for anything he had left and walked slowly outside to the now busy corridor. He watched everyone move about trying to gather up their things and as Slytherins surrounded him in the rooms, it was as if they hadn't lost a baby at all.

He walked down the corridor swerving around bags on floors, people moving from room to room and Pansy who was still crying.

He almost dropped his bag at a strangled yell from Malfoy's room. 'GRANGER!'

Pansy was sitting in the middle of the corridor crying her eyes out, and when anyone tried to comfort her she would snap harshly at them. She didn't want to seem weak so whenever someone suggested she was missing her baby, she would say instead she was crying over some missing lip gloss.

Her head was buried in her hands, what was almost as bad as losing a child was the idea that crossed her mind when the grief had hit her; she would do anything to have her baby back, even sleeping with Neville. She had wanted to shoot herself right there.

She looked up through her teary eyes to see Neville crouch down in front of her.

'Look, if you're going to cry, why don't you do it in the privacy of our room instead of err blocking the corridor and trying to get attention'

Prat she thought as she rubbed at her eyes, making them even more red than they were.

'Ow' she said turning to see the back of Blaise walk down the corridor.

Her head snapped to look down the corridor. 'GRANGER!'

Ron sat on his bed dazed as he automatically stroked Lavender's head which who on his lap, and said that everything was going to be fine for the 50th time. He only hated that he himself could not believe his own words.

He stroked her head one last time before moving it off his lap and getting up and stretching. He took a look at his battered old trunk and sighed as he started tugging it towards the door.

He wasn't looking where he was going and his heel of his foot hit the door jam and he fell backwards into the middle of the corridor where Harry was just walking.

'What you doing down there Ron?'

'Sorry Harry' He said, standing up and rubbing his back, which he had fallen on to.

'Don't worry about it. Have you seen Hermione?'

'No, I haven't sorry'

'Hmmm, I need to talk to her, oh wait there she is. See you soon mate' He said as Ron watched him head down to Hermione who was walking slowly. He inhaled sharply as he heard a voice shout loudly 'GRANGER'

'GRANGER' Hermione blinked.

'Hey Hermione, was that Malfoy I just heard?' Harry said walking up behind her.

'Yeah I better go see what's going on. I'll see you later ok?' She said giving him a strained smile before disappearing into her quarters to see Malfoy standing in the doorframe to their bedroom, rigid.

'What's wrong?' She said walking up to him and attempting to look beyond him but with no luck, as he was too tall.

'Draco, you're scaring me. Please move.' She said as he silently moved to the side for her.

Her mouth hung open as a child of about 6 years old sat on Malfoy's bed with her legs hanging off the edge. She was wearing a simple pink dress and wore her bright blonde hair in plats down on her shoulders. Her eyes were light blue and she was wearing what almost could have been considered a smirk.