Chapter Forty-Eight

Ochaco turned and looked at Izuku and then back at Ko. The woman stood up and said,"I'll leave ya'll alone." She then walked out of the room, but she told Midoryia something before she left."He's not made at you Deku."

Izuku leaned against the door frame with his hands tucked into his pockets and pushed his tongue against his teeth. He was unsure about what he could even say to the young boy sitting in the bed. 

The room was filled with a tense silence and neither of the boys wanted to break it. Izuku looked with sorry eyes at his adoptive son and frowned. Warto stared back at the man and tried to ease the tension."They said I'll be fine, nothing super deadly happened to me."

Deku quietly replied,"That's good." The man's usually bright green eyes then seemed to dim as he looked to the floor.

Warto adjusted his positioning in the be so he would be more comfortable."A-Are you sad ?"

Midoryia gazed up at the boy and shook his head."No not sad; I think a better word would be disappointed."

"Disappointed, about what ?"

"Me," responded Midoryia in a whisper."I got you hurt, but it goes beyond that. Sure when we took custody of you the first thing we worried about was your safety, but I don't think we took your feelings into mind, and I put most of that on myself." Izuku then let out a loud breath of air and began to run his fingers through his thick curls."The first day Ochaco met you she begged me to come to see you, I had never seen her like that before. She had always been the type to get excited over little things, but there was something different, yeah different about her that night." Izuku lightly chuckled as he continued to talk."I went with her to the next chance I had and I didn't know what to expect." Midoryia then cleared his throat as he began to overflow with emotions."When I began to learn about you I started to realize something, you were a lot like me at that age. Timid, reserved, and just looking for someone to let you know your dream wasn't that crazy. I mean the way you talked about me as hero reminded me of when I adored All-Might, he was the best thing in the world to me. And today I can't tell you everything about me and that man's relationship, but I'll let you know one thing. He was the only father I ever had, and he did a lot for me when it came to growing up, but he also made a  lot of mistakes. I-I never expected to have a kid, a family never really crossed my mind as I tried to rise to the top, so I never thought much about the years I spent under his wing, but now I'm starting to realize I should have. I repeated the same exact mistakes he made, but I think I bombed it even more than him." Deku took a deep breath." You may hate me, loathe me, or even want me dead, yet despite all of that I'll never stop loving you because that's how a father feels for his son weather the same blood flows through their veins or not.

Ko's face was frozen in shock as he stared at Midoryia. The boy could feel tears welling up in his eyes and he could see it in Midoryia, how the man was trying to stand tall when he really just needed something from the boy.

Ko winced as he maneuvered his way out of the bed,  and the squeaks of the mattresses springs rang throughout the small room. The blond boy's footsteps were soft as he walked towards Izuku. Ko wrapped his arms around abdomen and buried his head into the man's stomach. The man's breath hitched at the contact, and moments later a faint weep could be heard. Ko was bawling into the man's shirt and Deku could feel the dampness. 

The man didn't know what to do so he placed his scarred hand over the boy's head and pulled him in tighter. Ko cried,"I was mad at first, but now I kn-know why."

"W-Wh-Why's that ?", choked out Izuku.

"Because I love you, both you and Uraraka more than anything else ! I-I don't care about my Daddy because that's you now."

Midoryia bent down and put his arms around the small child."I love you too, and I promise I'll do a better job at this whole parenting thing."

Ko looked up at Izuku with a runny nose and sniffled."And I promise I'll be a better son."

"No, you don't need to change one bit," grinned Izuku as tears began to flow out of his eyes.

Too Short ?