Winter Quarter

Your POV:

It has been eight months since I escaped I that mansion. Getting back to a normal life has been challenging for me, but I am getting support from my parents and my therapist. I don't trust people as easily anymore, and it's rightfully so. No one but my therapist talks to me about what happened. But I know other people talk about it behind my back.
It's now February and the winter quarter had started. College is a little difficult, but I've managed to keep up with all my assignments. I started today off by going out for a warm cup of coffee with my friend, Soobin.

"Y/N!" Soobin called out from the snow as I exited the dormitory. The snow was gently falling and I could see my own breath due to the cold.
"Hey." I waved as walked up to him. "How are you?" I ask him with a smile.
"I'm doing good." He said happily. Soobin seemed to be full of energy today, which was normal for him. He'd always get random spirts of energy. "Did you get that essay done?" He asked me as we began to walk.
"Almost, I just have to write the introduction and the conclusion and then I can turn it in."
"Why didn't you do it last night?"
I look at him with slight annoyance. "Because it was already 3 in the morning by the time I got all the body paragraphs done."
"And you couldn't have stayed up for another 30 minutes?" He raised an eyebrow. I pout a little and give him a slight smack on his shoulder.
"I was tired." I groaned. Soobin just snickered. "Soobin, I can't stay up all night like you can." I whined. Soobin was a bit of a night owl. He could stay up all night and still function just as good during the day. I'm pretty sure it's because he's addicted to coffee. It's one of the reasons why we're going out so early, because I need an espresso, and Soobin never passes up a chance to get coffee with friends.
"Yeah, but 30 minutes could make a big difference in productivity."  Soobin remarked.
"Yeah, but it would have been crappy and I would get a lower grade on the assignment." I retorted.
"Probably." He shrugged. "But it would be done."
"Yeah, I'd rather turn in something with good quality on time than to have something crappy be turned in earlier than it needs to be. Plus I need the sleep, even if I don't like it." I frown as I crossed my shoulders. Soobin noticed this and stopped walking. I stop as well and look to the ground.
"You're still getting nightmares?" He asks. I give him a nod. "Was it about the same one as before?" I give him another nod. "Man I'm sorry you're having to deal with that." He puts his arm around my shoulder. "Let's just get some coffee, and talk about something else." He said as we began to walk again. Soobin was the first person I really started to trust outside of my family. He's also one of the only people who knows what partly happened to me back at that mansion. I never admitted that my captors were vampires, because I knew he wouldn't believe me, but I was okay with that. He didn't need to know.

We eventually arrived at a cafe. I ordered a double espresso coffee while Soobin ordered his "usual," which I didn't know what it was. He would always order it and whoever was behind the counter knew what he was talking about. They always gave it to him in a brown paper cup and a black straw, while mine was in a white paper cup with a green straw. Every time I've asked him he would tell me "one of these days you'll find out, but not right now." I thought it was weird, but I eventually just stopped asking. After we get our drinks we sat down at a small table with two seats and was by a window.
"So how's life? Other than the nightmares." He asks with a cheerful tone.
"Exhausting." I say with a sigh before taking a sip of my espresso. "It's mostly the amount of work I'm getting." I lied. Though I have gotten a good chunk of assignments handed to me every day, I usually finish them all relatively quickly. "And lack of sleep." I add.
"You know we can always go over to the library and study together." Soobin offers.
"Yeah." I say with a sigh. "Maybe." I rest my head on my hand and looked out the window. I saw a familiar looking figure across the street outside looking my way. My body tenses up as I observe this figure. I couldn't see their face. They had black hoodie over their head and a medical mask over the whole lower part of their face. All I could see was their eyes, which I could see were red.
"Y/N?" Soobin called my name and snapped me back to reality. "Are you listening?" I look back at him.
"Sorry what?" I glanced back out at the window and the figure was gone.
"I was asking you about what other assignments you had."
"Oh." I look back to Soobin. "Right, well it's just my essay I need to finish for now." I answer, a part of me was still thinking about that figure.
"Maybe when you're done with that you should take a nap. I know you don't like sleeping anymore but you still need the rest."
"Yeah...probably." I sigh. "Maybe I won't get a nightmare this time." I say with optimism.
"That's the spirit." Soobin smiles.

We soon finished our coffee and started to walk back to my dorm. As we walked back we noticed there was a few police cars and some caution tape around them. There was also a small crowd of people around.
"What happened?" I ask as I looked to Soobin.
"Don't know." Soobin said with worried eyes as we walk over to the crime scene. I followed behind before he stopped. There was a lifeless body of a woman on the concrete. The police had just gotten there and started to put a tarp over the body.
"Was somebody murdered?" A person in the crowd asked.
"Ladies and gentlemen, we ask you to please step away from the area." One of the officers said.
"Come on, let's go." Soobin grabbed hand and started to lead me away the crime scene.
"What happened?" I heard one of the officers ask another.
"Drained of blood." The other officer said as Soobin and I walked away.
'Wait? Drained?' I thought to myself. My stomach began to sink as Soobin and I walked away. I began to rationalize with myself and think all the possibilities that could have happened to that woman. But my number one theory was the worst.

Soobin and I didn't say much on our walk back to the dorms. Seeing that woman laying down lifeless just put me in shock, and I can only imagine what Soobin was thinking when he saw her too. We get to my dorm. My dorm was small and only two beds. I sat on my messy bed while Soobin sat on the empty one. I didn't have a roommate yet, and the last one had already graduated, so I had the whole place to myself. The dorms didn't have any bathrooms within each room, but there was a public one in each floor of the dormitory. I sat there for a moment and just thought about that dead woman.
"Y/N?" Soobin calls for my attention.
"Hmm?" I hummed as I looked up.
"Are you okay? Because that wasn't normal, what we just saw."
"Yeah...no kidding." I nod. "What do you think happened?" I ask. Soobin scratched the back of his head.
"Don't know, I didn't really get a good look." He explained. I start to frown a little.
"I overheard one of the officers say that the woman was drained of blood." I tell him. Soobin looked a little shock.
"What? That doesn't make sense." He tried to rationalize.
"Well no, not entirely. It's possible the perpetrator drew blood from them like the Red Cross does, only they didn't stop after three bags." A chill runs up my spine.
"You went into detail with that." Soobin squints his eyes as he comments. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about what happened do you?"
"Soobin, stop. Someone actually died today, and I'm still trying to process what we saw." I frown once more. Soobin looked away for a moment.
"Fine, you're right. I guess I'm just trying to cope with what I saw too." He looks back to me. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." He gave me a small smile.
"It's fine, let's just get focus on getting the assignment done." I try to change the subject. I grabbed my laptop which was sitting at the foot of my bed charging and opened it up. Soobin went over and sat next me as I logged in. I pulled up the essay and began to start typing. Soobin knew that I would get distracted if we started talking so he stayed silent until I was done. I was about to start writing my last paragraph when I heard Soobin's phone ring. I glanced over and thought saw the call was labeled Ji-something, I didn't get a good look at it because Soobin quickly picked up the phone and looked at me.
"Ah, sorry, I need to take this." Soobin then got up and left the room. I didn't question it and continued to write the rest of my essay. When I finished, I emailed it to my professor and closed my laptop. Soobin was still outside. I was a little curious and decided to lean my ear through the crack of the door.
"I figured that was you." Soobin voice spoke. "I'll make sure..." His voice began to fade away and I knew he was walking. I shrugged it off and went back to my bed and wait for Soobin. Within a minute he came back and sat on my bed.
"Who was that?" I ask.
"Oh it was one my friends, he gonna visit me next weekend." He says casually. "We wanted to meet up for lunch or something." Soobin continued. "Hey actually, did you want to come?" He ask with a smile.
"Oh yeah, I'll probably have time." I tell him.
"Great, let's meet up here at around 11:30 on Sunday?" Soobin suggest.
"Sure, sounds good." I say with a smile. Soobin then stood up.
"Well, I'm gonna get going, cheer practice is starting soon and I don't want to miss a chance to hook up with those girls." Soobin said with excitement.
"Okay, well I'll be here if you need me." I wave goodbye.
"See yah." He waved back as left my room. I shook my head and laughed. I was now alone. I was so tired that I decided to take a nap. I could only hope that I wouldn't have a nightmare.