Chapter 1

I can see the light within her soul   

Canada is the second-largest country in the world, after Russia. It has the world's largest proportion of fresh water lakes and out of thirteen provinces and territories, only two are landlocked. The other eleven all directly border one of three oceans. Unimaginable beauty!
You are never too far from amazing natural scenery when you live anywhere in Canada.

I was born and raised in the Rain city, Vancouver. Also known as Raincouver!
I live with my aunt Ella in the lower Mainland ever since I was about six years old.

My birth mother gave me up for adoption back in the day and I don't remember much before that when Ella took me in as her own. She gave me a safe home and loved me like any child deserve to be loved.  She is my mother.

emphasis on mother-
I call her Ma.

I've thought about my early childhood days so many times, and at a time even begged her to tell me something about my mom, but she strictly refused.  She said it involves too much heartache and she felt there was nothing for me to know. No good can come of it, was her words.

As the years flew by and I grew older, I started to let go of asking her questions about it and now it doesn't even matter what happened in the past.  How do they say: 'keep the past in the past'.
The future is what really matters.

She's really good to me and have worked hard to groom me into the lady that I am today. That's what's important.

"Lillie!" She shouts "Please would you get your butt inside, you are soaking wet for goodness sake!  You'll get sick!"

"I'm coming.." I shout back as I reach the front door.

I was on schedule, which is unbelievable by the way, for my run this morning without any rain predictions but a massive rain cloud appeared out of nowhere and it started pouring down on me. So hard that I couldn't finish my run and had to hurry all the way back home, soaking wet. When i reached the house, the cloud simply fanished and the rain cleared up, almost as if my sulking mood effected mother nature when it saw me go outside.  I love the rain, when i'm down in the dumps, the rain cleanses you of all worries or troubles that weigh on your shoulders -Besides it's easy to hide your tears in the rain.

Rain is very common here year-round especially during October right through up to March. We are excited to see the warm days again by the month of June.

"Wow I am starving! I'll be right back ma, i have to get myself dried up or else i'll sit with a runny nose by tomorrow".  I say, still a little out of breath from the run back home.
"You can do that and I'll dish up breakfast for the two of us." she says with a chirpy morning smile. I walk slowly up the stairs as my legs and feet are really burning from the run. Tomorrow i'll probably feel like dying, just walking on them.  I finally get to my room and change into a comfortably dry top and sweatpants.

El already set the table and dished up our plates as i make my way down the stairs again.  El is already seated on her exquisite Italian designed four-seated table that was hand crafted by Natuzzi himself back in the '70s.
Old designer tables and antiques is her style, she loves flowers too. One thing she told me was when my birth mom tried naming me, she was the main inspiration for my name. Lilliana Gagnon. Or just Lillie as a nickname, like the flower.

"Soo..what's on your mind lately? You seem very distant and distracted" El says as i get seated in deep thought. I didn't realize I was that obvious.
"I'm not doing it purposely, i'm just not sleeping too well lately."  I say as i take a bite of my food, hoping she would change the subject to something else but me.

"I see...perhaps it is 'someone' on your mind that you need to let go of before you start getting visible wrinkles darling" she raises a brow with a teasing smile.
I just nodded my head as if i disagree with her, but she's right.

"I wish i knew when these feelings would all just dissapear at once. I don't want to feel like this anymore" I say in a low voice,suddenly feeling sad again.  I know in my heart that no man should make a girl feel like this. It isn't healthy for me.

"It's all going to work out, i promise you." El rubs my back in a soothing manor.  Was she successful by trying to sooth the aching feeling in my heart? Not really.  I've been a mess for months now and i wish i didn't have to feel like this over a stupid guy but I can't help myself.

My future matters too, i should know this and accept it, i keep telling myself.

****